• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Potential Setup Question

motioneso

n00b
Joined
Apr 7, 2007
Messages
62
I've been in the hunt for a 5.1 setup for a little while now. For most of the time I had considered the Logitech Z-5500's, but the more I've been thinking about it, the more I would like to setup a bookshelf speaker system and get really true and solid sound from my system. Based on research I've done on this forum I think I've settled on the following setup, that is, unless someone can find errors and convince me otherwise:

Receiver: Denon AVR-589 375-Watt 5.1 Receiver
Left, Center, Right Speakers: LCR3 - P Home Theater
Surround Speakers: P6-PR 6.5" 2-way Bookshelf Speaker (Pair)
Sub: ASW-8 8" Subwoofer

I've got Optical out on my ASUS P5B Deluxe, but I've heard that the output often crackles and causes problems. That being said, I think I'll add a HT Omega Striker 7.1 to the mix. That would make the total cost of the system $688.

What do you say community, it's this a wise setup? It's a lot to spend but it will be main setup for my home theater for quite some time.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you referring specifically to the onboard sound? I've used the onboard audio before connected to speakers and I hated it. Is there something I should be considering?
 
Kind of bumping an old one here. After I asked the initial question my grandfather passed away and I forgot all about it. I'm back to thinking about surround sound again and I'm curious what you all have to say about the above setup.
 
You aren't going to notice a difference between S/PDIF out of you're mobo vs. S/PDIF out of a $200 soundcard. Its the exact same signal.

They only reason to buy a soundcard is to use its analog outputs, which by using S/PDIF you are bypassing.
 
Sorry about your grandfather, understandable that you'd forget about the HT system

I haven't heard the TSC set-up myself but their speakers in general offer good performance for the money. They do also offer a really great return policy so even if you don't like them, you could always send them back and not be out a penny. AV123 runs some package deals on their Onix set-ups occasionally and those sound great for the money however their prices have really jumped in the past year or so, so idk if they're going to keep doing any deals. If you email TSC, they might be able to package what you're looking for together at a cheaper price as well.
 
Back
Top