Potential RAM Issue.

I decided to reformat today, after I botched a driver update for my GTX 260, and the fact that i has been awhile since I have reformatted. When I go to boot from my windows CD, I would recreate the partition and load the files, but when I went to load from my HDD for the first time, I would BSOD on the load screen. After this I decided to retry the file copying process, and now this time when I was on the loading screen after the CD files were prepared, I would also BSOD. I had a similar issue before, back when I had 2x2gb Corsair XMS sticks, I found that I would only get BSOD's with both sticks in or one of the two sticks, so I returned those and got Patriot. Now, both of these Patriot sticks work separately, but I am still getting BSODs when they are in together.

They are supposed to run at 4-4-4-12, and I have been running them at those timings for awhile, but when I went to reformat I lowered down to 5-5-5-15 and still no dice.

As far as voltage, I have been keeping them at 2.2v, and my BIOS reports the voltage to be right on 2.2v (although I assume during the windows loading there is a decent voltage drop?). I tried 2.1 and no luck, but I am a little uneasy about trying anything above 2.2v.

My power supply is a Corsair 650TX, and I only have my gtx260, blu ray, DVDRW, HDD, 4 case fans, and 2x4" CCFL lights in the case, so 650w is easily enough for all of it.

What do you guys think about the issue? As of now I am leaning towards RMAing the pair/getting new ones, but if perhaps the issue lies within my motherboard/power supply that would be useless.

Either way, 2 bad sets of memory in 6 months sucks.

Have you tried Memtest?

Google ultimate boot cd and burn it, then boot with it and run memtest

Have you tried Memtest?

Google ultimate boot cd and burn it, then boot with it and run memtest

along with that, don't just run it with 2 .... because we know with 2 in is when it fails .... so it is a problem with one of the sticks, but it is only a problem when they are both in.

Sounds like bad ram again. Do like the above posters said and test them seperately with memtest. I had a pair of Corsair ram and then bought another pair to bring me up to 4GB. They would work fine sperately, but not together. Tested them with memtest and it found issues with the new pair.

Back