Potential problems with moving Windows 10 boot drive to new computer

Sprtfan

Limp Gawd
My kids computer is getting a little old and the integrated graphics on the 2500k no longer works for all of the games she wants to play. She was using an old system that I had put together but was wanting to move her over to and HP that I was able to pickup on clearance.
I know a clean install would be best, but she has some game progress that she does not want to lose and I don't want to work to hard on making the transition. I used to do this a long time ago and run sysprep on the system before moving the drive over. I believe this should no longer be needed on Windows 10?
Should the biggest issue be with activating Windows 10 again after the move? The original install is Windows 10 Pro that was upgraded from a full retail Windows 7 Pro license. The computer I'm moving the hard drive shipped with Windows 10 Home. The original Windows 7 Pro license can be moved to a new machine but I'm not sure if that also applies to the Windows 10 Pro it was upgraded to. Thanks

I think you should be fine. If I remember, Microsoft even made it so that you could perform a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro (using media created by their tool) and provide the Win 7 key during install.

Back