Postfix SMTP Server Issue

Ehren8879

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm running two Postfix based SMTP servers for my customers. One is a spam reporting SMTP server for our on-network customers and the other is a secure SMTP server with TLS and authentication (sasl). The secure server is for our off-network email users and for the most part everything works fine. I have zero issues with the spam scanning SMTP server and the secure server works on all popular email clients I've tested, except one. Apparently Motorola based Android phones use a proprietary email client. On various Motorola phones the verification of the SMTP server times out. On the DroidX it has told me "Invalid Server Certificate". I'm using a cert from Godaddy and don't have any other other email client bitching at me about the cert's trust or validity. During the setup of the SMTP settings there is an option to disbale certificate verification, but even turning this off doesn't fix the issue.

In my logs I can see these phones connecting to the server and then get a "lost connection after UNKNOWN (hostname... IP addy, etc). I see some talk about other's having trouble with these phones with some providers, but no real talk about a solution.

We're trying to avoid having to use the K-9 email client. Does anyone know if there's a way to pull more log data off these phones to see what exactly the Motorola app doen't like about the handshake?

My next trick will be load the android SDK and install the Motodev phone emulators on it. Maybe I can debug the email application and find out why it disconnects from the server.

I think Android does not accept godaddy certs. Not sure why.

Interesting, however I have no problem using the default Android email clients on the few HTC phones I've tried. A co-worker has a Cyanogen modded phone and that accepts the cert fine too. Furthermore I have an identical server setup with a separete hostname and temprary cert issued by Comodo and that fails the same as well. Again the only devices failing are Motorola phones when using their default mail clients. The K-9 email app has been a workaround, but this isn't ideal.

"A common reason for this error is that the intermediate certificate isn’t installed."

This is what I first thought the issue might be. I'm not certain I inserted the intermediate correctly.

Thanks for the link, I didn't want to chase this if it was a dead end, but looks like it's the stars are starting to align. I'll report back tomorrow once I've had some time to hammer on my servers.

I've got 4 clients on Exchange 2007/2010 using Godaddy SAN certs. And everythign from ATT HTC Androids to Verizon Moto Droid2's and Droid X's. Never hard any Cert issues, Ever.

And fixed.

Apparently the problem is that these phones don't support STARTTLS. So I opened up port 465 and uncommented the following in master.cf

smtps inet n - n - - smtpd
-o smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes
-o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes

Only took me all day to figure this out.

Back