Post your Windows 7 Primary Hard Drive Scores.

i have yet to see a screenshot of a 7.9 on ANY primary hard disk setup, on any of four forums that i frequent, and some guys are running 8 drive RAID0 with intels and NOT getting it!

Good to know it has to do with being a traditional platter drive, I thought something was wrong.

5.9 on my WD 750 Black

These 7.8-7.9 X25-MG2 scores are interesting because the X25-E only scores a 7.5. Either the results are bugged, or the X25-MG2s do really well with something in this benchmark that doesn't reflect a single real life application or retail benchmark. My 80G1, 160G1s score 7.4s and OCZ Vertex EX scores 7.5.

The only way a mechanical drive will score higher than 5.9 is if you use RAID. MS made seek times and random write/read a big portion of the test. And, I've only seen mechanical RAIDs score 6.1 or 6.2.

This link is to the MS developer blog, and it details how WEI is scored. http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/01/19/engineering-the-windows-7-windows-experience-index.aspx
Here's another one to a post dedicated to SSDs, and at the bottom, they tell you why SSDs score so much higher. http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx

Thanks for the links. Love to learn new things.

These 7.8-7.9 X25-MG2 scores are interesting because the X25-E only scores a 7.5. Either the results are bugged, or the X25-MG2s do really well with something in this benchmark that doesn't reflect a single real life application or retail benchmark. My 80G1, 160G1s score 7.4s and OCZ Vertex EX scores 7.5.
i still have yet to see one screenshot of a 7.9

Capture.jpg

OCZ Vertex 60gb
yes ye olde quadro 4600 is holding me back int he graphics depeartment.

Just installed win7 on this drive. still cant get over how fast things like photoshop open. (its a lot more than the difference between "6.9" and "7.3" might suggest.)

Last edited:
i still have yet to see one screenshot of a 7.9

Same. It would take in excess of 500MB/s read/write to hit a 7.9 in Windows 7 Experience Index, so unless the X25-MG2 suddenly got twice as fast, the results are completely bugged.

i have 8 vertex in raid 0 on a lsi-9260-8i, getting 1.8 gb/s read but stuck at 7.8....i have talked with others with 8 drive arrays of intel's and they too cannot get a 7.9. im not sure if anyone has yet, just wanting to see it!

6.4 with mechanical drives... :D

4 x 640 in short-stroked RAID0 400GB partition (first 100GB of each drive)

7.9 memory, 7.7 processor, 7.2 graphics (single GTX260)

Pointless scores overall... as long as your happy with the performance, I'm still waiting on the price of them SSD's to drop...

300gb Velociraptor - 5.9
74gb Raptor - 5.7
160gb Seagate Hybrid 2.5' laptop drive (regular SATA 5400rpm w/256mb solid state buffer) - 4.7

96868904.png

single x25m g2 with TRIM firmware
Q9450

Boots win7 in 12-13 seconds.
all recent drivers installed..
Nvidia for gtx 280
DELL for PERC 6/i (raid 6 array)
marvell gigabit
Intel Rapid Storage Manager
Intel INF
creative drivers for x-fi pro

STILL noboduy with a confirmed 7.9 screenshot.....hmmm ihave seen it over on other forum, but only with ramdisks, i am sure it can be done with standard disks and whatnots, but i am getting only 7.8 with this bandwidth...
sequential.....
THEBESTEVERPERIOD.png

and this is a bootup config, mostly small random reads 4k 64 k
bootupscreen.png

and the deepressing results LOL
79.png

windowsexperience752.png

Intel X25-E

No idea how you guys are getting 7.9s on X25-Ms, in PC Mark or any other synth or real-life benchmark the X25-E would steamroll the X25-M.

2x300gb WD Velociraptors on an Acrea 1220 raid controller in RAID-0

Think it might be time to drop the cash on an SSD...

I had 4xWD640AAKS in RAID0 w/ Perc 5/i and got a 6.6 score.
Now moved to Intel X25-M 80GB with the latest Trim FW and only get a 7.3 score.
Maybe its because I am on IDE mode with the O/B controller, any ideas ?

strange, only getting 5.9 with my SSD :\

Is there something special that you have to enable in windows 7 for use with SSD's?

are you sure its actually testing the SSD? the score looks suspiciosly exactly the same as most mechanical hard drives.

yeah, or it's showing primary HDD atleast.

Does that mean primary to the system or primary to the OS? It doesn't show which drive it's actually testing (have 2 extra 7200rpm's installed for storage and vista)

edit: removed both of the mechanical drives and it's still showing 5.9... odd

Last edited:
DR STEVIL
enable write back cache in your system settings. Device manager>select the disk drive>right click>properties>policies>check the box that says enable write back cache or similar

7.7 on a brand new X25-M 80GB G1. I'm pretty sure the "brand new" part is important, since this one will never be as clean again as it is now.

DR STEVIL
enable write back cache in your system settings. Device manager>select the disk drive>right click>properties>policies>check the box that says enable write back cache or similar

I'll try that when I get home, thanks :)

ok, just tried it remotely and it's already selected :\ any other ideas as to why it might not be seeing it correctly? It's not a big deal I guess... it performs fine :) just want to make sure that it's not being crippled by a configuration is windows or something

Last edited:
if it suits you well, leave it! If it aint broke dont fix it, nice score up there btw, i knew it wasnt impossible, just wanted to see with my very own eyeballs!

Back