Post your Weather pics! (56K warning)

Bugalaman

Really a Ugandachick
Hey all you [H]ard Photographers, please post your weather pics. This may be things like lightning, clouds, sunrises/sunsets, thunderstorms or anything else weather related. If you have some nice landscapes, post those too. I just love the weather and looking at weather pictures. I don't know what it is, but weather just fascinates me! Head to www.weatherunderground.com for some more great pics (low res).

here's my first attempt to take a picture of the moon. Its with my D70S, 400mm (with the VR lens at 200mm with a 2x teleconverter), and set to landscape mode. I still need to mess with the manual modes. It is croped, but still at 100% size. It was taken Sunday evening at about 8:15pm.
moon1.jpg

I would post a picture of some weather event, but hey! we have no weather in california :p

mods, if you feel this is too much like "post your best pics", feel free to delete it. I though it would be cool to have a weather thread :cool:

whoops! sorry, I certainly did miss the forum. please move mods :eek:

We've been slammed by rain for the last month and a half, but I didn't feel like taking pictures of the rain.

Here's a cloudy sky - I just liked the clouds.

clouds.jpg

2 separate exposures...one exposed for the sky, and the other one for the water, then blended in PS.

Thats pretty much how it looked to the naked eye...the camera however couldn't catch the whole range of the scene in one pic.

Puget sound evening....

Calm_Sunset_by_xorie.jpg

Taken by my daughter with my old Canon A40...

BB

I like stormy nights, so this is a night where all the floodlights on the tower were off and lightning was all over. Sadly by then the lighting was pretty much done.
caro1.1.jpg

Soybomb, what is that a picture of? It looks more like a painting then a photo with the colors and such.

BillLeeLee said:
Soybomb, what is that a picture of? It looks more like a painting then a photo with the colors and such.
Heh it is the centralia carillon, aka the 8th largest bell tower in the world. Every day they play music from it. This was the only other picture I could find of it. Its not all that impressive really.
img2.gif

Thanks, not much done to the pic really, curve tweak, a little dodge/burn, and sharpen.

This one was from a *long* time ago. Taken with a Nikon CoolPix 995. Manual settings: ISO 800, 8 sec exposure, f/4.0. I haven't touched the photo (just crop/resize & copyright on a frame) or tried any noise reduction.

I'll dig around and see if I can find anymore...

photos_dscn_04070193.jpg

Tazman2 said:
Must buy DSLR! :(

Haha, not every picture in this thread was taken with a dSLR Tazman2.

edit: Here's a really dreary overcast day at the docks.

ocean.jpg

Here is my shot of the moon. This was before my dSLR days. My Nikon CoolPix 995 was held to a reflecting telescope (I have no idea which way the moon *should* be oriented) and I bumped to ISO 200 to get cleaner pictures and managed to get a fairly blur-free picture at 1/100 of a second. There was some minor processing to the picture to make it more presentable, mainly hue/sat & channel mixer + USM + the crop and resize. The moon is probably flipped backwards by the reflecting telescope, but oops :p

photos_dscn_04065165.jpg

This was a sunset during July 4th last year (Again, Nikon CoolPix 995...). Some minor levels work and a hue/sat change to enhance the colors + some USM for added contrast.

This year if I go somewhere for fireworks I'll get better shots with my home-made remote shutter release for my dSLR. Should be fun :)

photos_dscn_04075587.jpg

Hopefully I'll get some funky weather over here to take pictures of. I haven't seen any lightning here since...who knows? The lightning storm from earlier was way down in Southern Idaho, no where close to where I live...

cb_dev.JPG

Took it the other day at work. Lots of CBs, but they all missed me, so I didn't have to do any extra weather obs. :)

The previous image was shot with a d300/kit lens. The following were the same camera with a 28-135IS.
outerbanks3448qn.jpg

outerbanks3481oe.jpg

outerbanks3522iv.jpg

Here are a variety of weather-related phenomena, not necessarily all in the sky...

Post-storm sunset:
P6113186_yellow_sky_sm.jpg

Sun pillar:
PA213915_sun_pillar_sm.jpg

Snowing:
DSCF7761_snow_station_sm.jpg

Ice storm aftermath:
DSCF7852_crystal_path_sm.jpg

DSCF7724_ice_tree_full_sm.jpg

Fog rolling through:
DSCF8363_foggy_north_sm.jpg

Morning fog near Muir Woods:
P6237170_precarious_road_sm.jpg

Some great shots so far in this thread. Good idea, Bugalaman!

Before HPK's post it slipped my mind that all of the weather doesn't necessarily stay in the sky. I too have a couple of snow pictures :p

photos_img_04122096.jpg

photos_img_04122136.jpg

photos_img_04110494.jpg

Weird weather eh? No snow! :p

27ed0cfc.jpg

Its much nicer on my harddrive... but Photobucket mauls it.. Sigh :(

atleast its better then previous.

moosenuts said:
That last one is bad ass Fixxer - post processing?

Thanks! Just your typical saturation and levels adjustment done in RAW format with Photoshop CS, then saved as JPG. Maybe a bit of USM too, if i remember correctly.

Excellent pics guys. I wish I had some of the storm I was out in. 100 knot winds, 100' seas. Not pretty. :D

This was a snapshot I took right when I got my digital camera...

We had some wicked thunderstorms a few hours later too!

(click for fullsize)

Back