Post Your VISTA DeskTOPS !!

d3viant

Limp Gawd
Just playing around with VISTA and trying to comeup witha funky desktop.

Love to see some examples.

my current desktop, I guess it counts as "clean"

screen2.jpg

Here is mine from The official "clean desktop" club. thread

there are a lot more of them over there in the Digital Artwerk forum

Pretty defensive there before no one even said anything... ;)

I've been around long enough to know two things about this game.
1) When you turn off UAC, everyone who has it on is better then you. :rolleyes:
2) Everybody will assume you "stole" from a company if you bought a copy of STALKER off EBay. (loved that thread)

I've been around long enough to know two things about this game.
1) When you turn off UAC, everyone who has it on is better then you. :rolleyes:
2) Everybody will assume you "stole" from a company if you bought a copy of STALKER off EBay. (loved that thread)

L O L

This cracked me up big time. 2 threads (1 is mine) that I'm a part of discusses both these issues exactly as you described it. :D So funny.

Wow how do u get your windows (your games folder) to look like that? What is the top part?

That looks fantastic. What applications are you running to get it to look like that? What gadgets are those?

I think you should be able to find answers to your questions here:

http://bladeiai.deviantart.com/art/Desktop-91821297

Let me know if you guys have anymore questions, and thanks for liking my desktop

I'm looking to do something very similar. One question though. When you organize it like that does that mean you have ur shortcuts in one folder and one of those objects in ur dock point to that folder?

for instance ur game folder that you have in your screenshot. Are those all shortcuts consolidated and live in one folder? or is there a better way to do that ?

I'm looking to do something very similar. One question though. When you organize it like that does that mean you have ur shortcuts in one folder and one of those objects in ur dock point to that folder?

for instance ur game folder that you have in your screenshot. Are those all shortcuts consolidated and live in one folder? or is there a better way to do that ?

It does point to a specific folder (one of the icons is open folder). You might be able to do a different way though.

I try to keep my desktop simple. Just the weather, and a second clock (useful when watching movies full screen, and playing games)

picturedr3.jpg

On that picture, it looks strange, since I made it so it looks natural with the monitors apart, due to the monitor bezels.

Here is an older picture of the setup (the monitors have been switched around since.)
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3881/desktopuu1.jpg

That desktop is almost enough to get me to make the switch from XP to Vista 64.

I Have loved vista ever since I made the switch. I know every one complains about it, but I haven't had any problems.

HERE'S A REALLY COOL SUGGESTION:

If you post a screenshot in this thread and you've got all sorts of neat things going on, it might be a good idea to take a moment or two and list the names of the gadgets, or font sets, or themes, or backgrounds, or RocketDock docklets, etc etc. It seems like every time one of these types of threads get started they turn into a ton of posts that are always asking for details about the contents instead of the pics we're supposed to be posting.

This ain't a demand, just a suggestion because we all know we'll see something and think "That's cool, I wonder what that person is using..." and wham... there it goes. :)

I try to keep my desktop simple. Just the weather, and a second clock (useful when watching movies full screen, and playing games)

picturedr3.jpg

On that picture, it looks strange, since I made it so it looks natural with the monitors apart, due to the monitor bezels.

Here is an older picture of the setup (the monitors have been switched around since.)
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3881/desktopuu1.jpg

okay im going to have to ask you to take off my girlfriends pic. lol

Here is mine right now.

flair-1.jpg

Cd art display
rainmeter
rocketdock
maxclear theme

22in + 19in

Awesome, illuminate!!! You and blade have inspired me to do more with my Vista desktop. :D

Awesome, illuminate!!! You and blade have inspired me to do more with my Vista desktop. :D

Me too.. Those flyout folders are a great idea- Vistas default start menu only occupies a tiny part of one corner of the screen - this is a bit strange, because finding and launching applications is something you do very often..a central part of using the computer/OS. I don't understand why you're forced to accomplish this with a tiny, fiddly menu in the corner of the screen while the rest of the screen is completely empty save for the wallpaper. This is not how it works in e.g. AmigaOS (which I used until version 3.5) - here, this central task of finding and launching applications takes place in the middle of the screen, using big windows and spatial navigation, which makes much more sense. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:AmigaOS4.png

Wow... Am I the only one here who dislikes all these gadgets cluttering up the desktop?

If you want to know ram/cpu usage or trends, just open taskman... and those objectdock things using just words... why not just use quicklaunch or the like? You can turn icons off.

It looks like these apps are solving problems that don't exist..

edit: desktop

vistasimple.jpg

Me too.. Those flyout folders are a great idea- Vistas default start menu only occupies a tiny part of one corner of the screen - this is a bit strange, because finding and launching applications is something you do very often..a central part of using the computer/OS. I don't understand why you're forced to accomplish this with a tiny, fiddly menu in the corner of the screen while the rest of the screen is completely empty save for the wallpaper. This is not how it works in e.g. AmigaOS (which I used until version 3.5) - here, this central task of finding and launching applications takes place in the middle of the screen, using big windows and spatial navigation, which makes much more sense. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:AmigaOS4.png

Yall are welcome. That was my thinking too. If i had some icons that had itunes, poweriso, and paint, i wouldnt even have anything in quick launch

Wow... Am I the only one here who dislikes all these gadgets cluttering up the desktop?

If you want to know ram/cpu usage or trends, just open taskman... and those objectdock things using just words... why not just use quicklaunch or the like? You can turn icons off.

I don't want to offend you or anything, but your desktop looks like it is straight out of Windows 95, hell I have a hard time telling the difference. Sometimes its about asethetics than it is functionality which is the point you are apparently missing. Eye candy is apparently lost on you. You can see below that I don't use any of that stuff either, but I don't think people who do have bad taste.

I dislike gadgets, but not because of the gadgets themselves, but rather the poorly implemented sidebar which is required to use them without using some other 3rd party thing. Windows 7 will have explorer support for gadgets which should improve things a lot as far as that goes.

Here is my desktop:

No offence taken. The thing is, in games, I have eyecandy as much as possible, but where i'm working or developing, on my desktop, i normally prefer to have minimalist desktops, but I have varied before.

My main actaul gripe is, as you pointed out, bloatware just to run a simple widget/gadget.

Hell, I might actaully give this thing a go, to my own taste, just to see what I can come up with. The only actual problem I have with Aero is that it's very dark, mostly at the taskbar, even when you have a bright color enabled.

edit: desktop

I agree about the CPU usage etc.. No need for me to have that constantly displayed, cluttering the desktop.. But the quicklaunch bar is useless for launching apps.. there's no way to group icons and it easily gets cluttered. For someone who is used to and "grew up with" another OS (ie. AmigaOS), the tiny, fiddly start menu is a problem.. the one in Vista is even more cramped and compact than the fold out variety used in previous versions.. now this entire central task of launching applications takes place in a tiny, ~250x430 corner of the screen.

But the quicklaunch bar is useless for launching apps.. there's no way to group icons and it easily gets cluttered.

Why not use folders to group icons in the quicklaunch? I find that to be a very easy and convenient way to keep my most used programs close by and well organized.

2688956312_f7b05ed4a8_b.jpg

Nothing fancy, just a few gadgets - XM, CoreTemp,Wired Network Meter.

Back