Post your Oblivion pics here!

I wouldn't run his texture packs on less than a 7900GT, I had to go down to the "reduced normals" mod to get my framrates back to where they were.

Still looks awsome, though! :D

Wow, Qarl, those textures... godly!

I haven't played Oblivion in quite a while and don't remember where I put all my screenshots. So here's one from late March, taken with my older PC when I had a 9800 in it.

Hey guys, I'm experiencing some weird issues here...my framerate stays between 10 and 20FPS at the Imperial Docks no matter what I do, 1680x1050 with HDR is the same as 800x600 without HDR.

Other places in the game are fine (as in, my framrate scales with resolution), I usually don’t fall below 20FPS outdoors, when I’m in a city it’s rare that it ever dips below 40FPS, and when I’m inside a house I’m usually pegged at 60FPS.

WTF is going on with the Imperial Docks? 0_o

Unknown-One said:
Hey guys, I'm experiencing some weird issues here...my framerate stays between 10 and 20FPS at the Imperial Docks no matter what I do, 1680x1050 with HDR is the same as 800x600 without HDR.

Other places in the game are fine (as in, my framrate scales with resolution), I usually don’t fall below 20FPS outdoors, when I’m in a city it’s rare that it ever dips below 40FPS, and when I’m inside a house I’m usually pegged at 60FPS.

WTF is going on with the Imperial Docks? 0_o

CPU :( I get the same general issues - in cities, no matter what resolution, I drop into the teens. Everywhere else, it sits around 35. A new CPU is the only way to improve :(

FighterAce124 said:
CPU :( I get the same general issues - in cities, no matter what resolution, I drop into the teens. Everywhere else, it sits around 35. A new CPU is the only way to improve :(
If a 2.7GHz Athlon 64 can't keep up, the only real next step is a Core2...Are you telling me Oblivion needs a Core2 level processor to run as intended?

Bethesda needs to take a long hard look at how they coded this game, I'm not CPU limited in BF2142, NFS: Carbon, GTA: San Andreas, Quake 4, Half Life 2, etc, etc.

So much for that 8800GTS, looks like a Core2 Duo E6400 + RAM + Motherboard is my next upgrade if Oblivion is any indication of how next-gen games will utilize hardware.

Its not the raw speed thats needed, its the overall power of the processor. An A64 4600 (I know it doesnt come in single core, but pretend it does) at 2.4 would have a far easier time than an A64 3400+ at 2.7.

Oblivion seems to do it because the AI is all randomly doing so much crap in a city, and I agree. It needs to be looked at and see if they can streamline it..

So ive tried a lot of the mods mentioned here, and went the setup listed on the Oblivion Texture mod website for 256mb cards.

I got Quarls, then the tiling, then the reduced maps, etc etc. and it looks FANTASTIC!

...except for this texture.
http://www.novicee.com/pics/uglytex.JPG

Bleh! Its used in Anvil and some roads around the world. Anyone have any idea whats wrong with that? Everything else in the game looks great.

Cali3350 said:
So ive tried a lot of the mods mentioned here, and went the setup listed on the Oblivion Texture mod website for 256mb cards.

I got Quarls, then the tiling, then the reduced maps, etc etc. and it looks FANTASTIC!

...except for this texture.
http://www.novicee.com/pics/uglytex.JPG

Bleh! Its used in Anvil and some roads around the world. Anyone have any idea whats wrong with that? Everything else in the game looks great.

on my pc at 1280x1024 res the texture isn't too bad, but i could see it looking worse on a higher res.

CreganTu, your best bet is to go to dev_akm's The Oblivion Texture Overhaul (TOTO) site and see what your options are. For reference, I currently have a 6800GT 256MB card -but plan on getting an R600 card when they come out. :p

Khaydarin, I know of no one who's redone the interior fort ruins textures -but mine should be out quite soon. ;)

Cali3350, that's a problem of the reduced normals pack. Normal Maps tend to look horrible with the DDS compression Bethesda uses and end up looking really blocky. I try to thwart this by increasing the texture size so the compression artifacts are smaller -but that really increases the amount of video ram needed to run the game smoothly. What Blade did for his "parallaxed" version of my mod was to cut the normal map size from my 1024x1024 to 512x512 (back to Bethesda's original size.) This can cause the extreme pixelation like in your picture -especially during dawn and dusk when the light is an an extreme angle.

What you can do is reinstall my normals (all the files ending in '_n.dds') back, overwriting Blade's reduced normals.

Here's what that texture+normal map should look like:

FighterAce124 said:
It’s not the raw speed that’s needed, it’s the overall power of the processor. An A64 4600 (I know it doesn’t come in single core, but pretend it does) at 2.4 would have a far easier time than an A64 3400+ at 2.7.
How would a 2.4GHz single core be faster than a 2.7GHz single core? (not being sarcastic, I’m genuinely confused).

FighterAce124 said:
Oblivion seems to do it because the AI is all randomly doing so much crap in a city, and I agree. It needs to be looked at and see if they can streamline it..
After doing a few tests I think I’ve pinpointed where the CPU bottleneck is coming from. You were right, it’s mostly the AI, and to a lesser extent grass and distant trees. Halting Oblivion’s AI at the waterfront gave me one hell of a boost (testing at 800x600 with no HDR).

Bethesda needs to do what they did with Morrowind, make the AI dumber as it gets further away. For example: two NPC’s far off in the distance do not need to be actively perusing a conversation, just point them at each other and halt their AI until the player gets close enough for them to matter.

I wonder if a mod to halt high level AI outside of a predefined radius from the player is possible…

Unknown-One said:
I wonder if a mod to halt high level AI outside of a predefined radius from the player is possible…

I dont know about a mod like that - but it would be awesome if it is possible. - sent you a PM regarding the other question :)

Quarl - I have loved your texture packs since I used them for Morrowind, and as am going to download your next one for Oblivion - Will be an amazing experience, I am sure :) Once I do that, I'll have to start posting some screenshots :D

Qarl said:

It's because of these (and other) mods, that I enjoy being a PC Gamer. Oblivion is stunning by default, but now it looks amazing. Great stuff Qarl. Your textures rock :)

I have a few random screenshots that are mildly worth viewing:

Drunk person I think most of us can relate to this

Raining indoors Rain falling while standing inside under a covered area

Skooma Den 1

A night of fun

Gaurds stopping me Im not sure how I managed this, but 8100 bounty...

Interesting florecent color

Zombies of Skingrad Letting them loose to terrorize the citizens.

Another skooma den character

Kicking some ass with the sufferthorn

Edge of map?

These are all PNG, so if anyone has dialup... might want to go make a sandwhich, re-arrange the furniture... it will eventually load.

I haven't played Oblivion yet since I'm still waiting for my new build (R600 is the plan) so that I can see Oblivion in its full glory rather than half assed. :D

So when I do eventually get the new rig, I'm guessing I should get some of these texture mods right off the bat. Which ones should I get? Qarl's looks fantastic...hopefully the Texture pack 3 will be out by then... but what other mods are the 'must haves' with Qarls?

here are some of my obliv shots.. originals are @ 1920x1200...
I have lots of mods installed.. all can be found here.
graphical improvement mods are:

Qarl's Textures
Natural Environments
Oblivion Ayleid Ruin Parallax texture pack
Oblivion Sewer Parallax texture pack
CaptNKILL's No Tiling Mod
CaptNKILL's LOD Texture Mod
Illumination Within
Immersive Interface
BT Mod

bos1.jpg

bos2.jpg

bos3.jpg

bos4.jpg

bos5.jpg

bos6.jpg

bos7.jpg

bos8.jpg

bos9.jpg

bos10.jpg

beanman101283 said:
Agreed! Quarl's textures + Natural Environments + Illumination Within = MEGA WIN!

He needs the neon grass fix though, that last pic looks a little funky.

yes, I should install that one.. some of the grass looks bright in areas..

I should mention, all that @ 1920x1200 on a single 8800GTX with fluid frames! I see the fps dip under 30 every once in a small while.. it's only when there's tons of crap on the screen.. like, TONS.. anyways.. no AA on because @ 1920x1200 it's not too big of a deal.. and in the Oblivion universe I don't think all the edges should be smooth.. ;) maybe after SLI I can use AA tho.. the performance hit was the biggest deterant.

anyways.. yeah, these mods are awesome. I find myself just wondering around looking at stuff again. lol

I'm not really up on my Oblivion mod-fu. Qarl, will v3 automatically overwrite v2 of your textures when we install it?

yes - I had to upgrade it already and just installed the new over the old.

edit: PS - major thanks to Qarl for awesome texture goodness. really good stuff! :D

revenant said:
yes, I should install that one.. some of the grass looks bright in areas..

I should mention, all that @ 1920x1200 on a single 8800GTX with fluid frames! I see the fps dip under 30 every once in a small while.. it's only when there's tons of crap on the screen.. like, TONS.. anyways.. no AA on because @ 1920x1200 it's not too big of a deal.. and in the Oblivion universe I don't think all the edges should be smooth.. ;) maybe after SLI I can use AA tho.. the performance hit was the biggest deterant.

anyways.. yeah, these mods are awesome. I find myself just wondering around looking at stuff again. lol

You dont know what you're missing in SLI...

CptFalcon said:
You dont know what you're missing in SLI...

Well, I can imagine.. I have run SLI before for a long time.. I'd get another 8800 now if I could get it to work on my 975x chipset mobo.. doh! I was hoping the MSI P6N Diamond was coming out this month, but it looks like it will be a while for it.. so I might try a Striker or the Abit 680i when it's on shelves.. anyways.. SLI soon. and a 37" Westy too. :)

beanman101283 said:
I can't get the downloads to work for the two parallax mods, any ideas where else i can get them?

try:
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.List
or
http://www.tessource.net/files/

The first one links to fileplanet, which isn't working. And the second link doesn't have that mod, or at least i can't find it. Oh well, the others should keep me happy for awhile. This thread made me reinstall the game.

revenant said:
here are some of my obliv shots.. originals are @ 1920x1200...
I have lots of mods installed.. all can be found here.
graphical improvement mods are:

Qarl's Textures
Natural Environments
Illumination Within
Immersive Interface
BT Mod

Ive just downloaded quarls textures, ive had natural environments. Oblivion Ayleid ruin texture pack/sewer pack seems to be only avalile at fileplanet which wants $6.00 a month from me... sigh.

What hardware do you have running all of that? I have a 3000+ winchester core, 1GB ram, and a 6600GT 128mb... I can barely cope with oblivion on low res (no aa, no AF, 1024x768) :(.

revenant said:
which ones can't you get? Qarl's or CaptKill's?

Qarl's are here: http://qarl.rpgmods2.com/Qindex.html

and capt kill's LOD mods are here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71419

edit: lol, now I am in mod/tweak mode here.. I remembered this page has a lot of good links also: http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_4.html

The Ayleid ruin and sewer parallax mods are the ones i can't get. When i try to download them from fileplanet, it says there was an error.

EDIT: Nevermind, now it's mysteriously started working again. Back to modding! :p

bob said:
Ive just downloaded quarls textures, ive had natural environments. Oblivion Ayleid ruin texture pack/sewer pack seems to be only avalile at fileplanet which wants $6.00 a month from me... sigh.

What hardware do you have running all of that? I have a 3000+ winchester core, 1GB ram, and a 6600GT 128mb... I can barely cope with oblivion on low res (no aa, no AF, 1024x768) :(.

core2 @ 3.5 with an 8800GTX @ 630/2000... it's pretty much at the threshold which I consider acceptable performance with all these mods.. I think building the gaming rig out to SLI is in my near future.. anyways.. this game is demanding.. it loves the 128 shader arch of the 8800 for sure..

yeah, fileplanet has been sucking wind as of late.. I thought there was some issue with FireFox 2.0 the other day.. I loaded it up and then couldn't download anything from FP afterewards.. and it turned out to be FP! gah.. anyways.. the best mods are qarls texture packs + LOD texture and anti-tiling packs.. makes the cities and outdoorsy areas look so nice.

Hi guys,

What kind of gfx card is required to run these texture packs? I play at 1600x1200 with various settings (HDR on, shadows on low, view distance high, grass low). I'm using a 6800GT with 256mb of vram. Would it be able to handle these textures? No harm in trying I guess...

Hi guys,

What kind of gfx card is required to run these texture packs? I play at 1600x1200 with various settings (HDR on, shadows on low, view distance high, grass low). I'm using a 6800GT with 256mb of vram. Would it be able to handle these textures? No harm in trying I guess...
That can't be very smooth. I'm running a 7900GT and I get slowdowns at 1680x1050.

It's not too bad, I use 1600x1200 because its the native resolution of my lcd. Anything lower is just awful.

Its only slow when in the countryside fighting more then one creature. At those points the game crawls, but the fights usually only last 10 seconds or so.

I'm guessing that's why there are not many battles outdoors. Bethesda knew it would be a problem for a lot of hardware. Once indoors, the game plays well.

A few pics of my character since I've restarted playing with OOO 1.31.

Mods:
OOO, Colour Map, No Psychic Guards, Ren's Beauty pack, Eshmes Bodies, Landscape LOD 4096 + no tiling, Natural Evironments pack, Illumination within, Immersive Interface + BTMod, Keychain plus whatever else was need to get these to work.

Waiting for Qarl's Texture pack 3 to be released before i update teh textures.

Hi guys,

well, you'll be pushing things on that card, but here's a good link which tells you which packs to load and in what order for various video memory sizes

http://devnull.devakm.googlepages.com/totoworld

edit: here are some more screenies from my recent playing.. again, the graphics mods for these are:

All Qarl's Textures (parallaxed 1.0 + 1.1 & 1.11 updates, texture pack 2, and parallaxed castles)
Illumination Within
Natural Environments
Immersive Interface

bos11.jpg

bos12.jpg

bos13.jpg

bos14.jpg

bos15.jpg

bos16.jpg

bos17.jpg

bos18.jpg

bos19.jpg

I dunno.. lol. I'm pushing the fringe here with these mods in.. I'll play around with it though..

edit: yeah, it's a bit too much of a performance hit when in the deep woods, or when facing deep woods.. as I said, I see my fps drops below 30 here and there as is, so the mods alone cause about as much of a performance hit as I can handle... er, time for SLI I guess. I realy wish there were more 680i mobo options.. *sigh* anyways, it does look nicer tho.. quite a bit.

oh crap.. I take that back.. there was an oblivion gate in the distance where I was testing, so that was causing the slight performance issues.. seems I can run with 8x AF with nearly zero impact.. coolness.

Yea those shots look like what I dream oblivion to look like!!! lol. The only thing missing in those shots is the AF :(

Back