Post your New Ivy Bridge Processor Thermals, Type of Cooling, and First Impressions:

Sorry about that man, Ivy is pretty deceptive because it's a new cpu from intel but it really does have a brand new architecture and it really changes the dynamic on this first revision.

4.5Ghz @ 1.189v/1.82vPLL was good for 8 hours of prime 95. Max temp with my fans at low low speed case closed and all was 80c (1 core, others hit 75 max).

One thing that impresses me is how cool the air coming out the back of my heatsink is. I can definitely tell there are less total watts to dissipate. Just seems hard sucking them up from the cores.

I know my previous asus board had vcore offset. I can't find a similar option on my Z77A-GD65, I'll ask in the MSI support forum when I have a chance. I'm "ok" for now with no offsets, but If I want to aim for 4.6/4.7 I'll need a larger offset to keep dynamic vcore going.

The air coming out of the back being cooler has nothing to do with that, the cpu has more surface area to clear so hs/f's will be more cool to the touch even though the cpu is running hot underneath.

BAH! I knew it. My plan way to use stock cooling for now and wait out for the next gen coolers. I'm leaving for Europe for 3 weeks soon, so I figured stock clocks and stock cooling wold hold me over until I get back. Not overclocking pre-release hardware turned out to be unbearable. I tried to get the Thermalright 1156 Rev B. mounting kit for my TRUE but it would have been $25 after the shipping.

I do find the D14 to be a little loud, however the Corsair 550D is pretty damn quiet. I still have the case on top of my desk and prime running 24/7 so I haven't had a chance to consider silencing options. I've never had a high end GPU so balancing for quiet/performance might be harder this time around.

Worst case they're new cooler is amazing and I get it along with haswell next year and trickle parts down to my server and htpc

Yea the fans included with the NH-D14 the 120mm and 140mm are not pwm so the best you can do to quiet them is to install the included in-line attenuators the LNA and the ULNA. For me, that is still not a viable solution since you don’t want to pull your rig apart every time your procedurals change from gaming to office work to video apps to benches. If you are going to hang on to the NH-D14 and not happy with its current acoustics, purchase a couple NF-F12 pwm focus flows they should mount right up, and grab a pwm controller. In the photo below: the area between the blue led and the cable is a large click button allows you to quick toggle between 3 performance pwm profiles and a manual preset, the dial on the end.

Think you’ll be extremely happy with the acoustic flexibility this simple set-up offers.

NF-F12 specs

1500rpm~22db 12v from psu

1200rpm~18db 9v from psu with LNA adapter

PWM Configuration: 1500rpm~22db to 300rpm~6db to 8db (Noctua est.)

Man if you're not happy with 6 decibels, I don’t know what else to tell you.:D

I ran the controller cable out the bottom of the 650D so it’s right there by the mouse to change the acoustics of three fans quickly, but it comes with a Velcro strip to mount to the rear of the chassis or the front of your desk, whatever. Along with the transition from NH-D14 to the H100 and negative pressure to a positive pressure config, this is the best upgrade I have made while waiting on Ivy and the new Z77 boards.

Hope this info helps other members.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=33319

IMG_0674.jpg

Last edited:
New i7 3770k here with Asus Sabertooth Z77 board. Spent all night trying to get it dialed in. Horrible temps. AS5 applied and re-applied twice. Using Corsair H100 with Push / Pull fans. Excellent contact with the CPU.

Used the ASUS Z77 UEFI Tuning Guide for overclocking, found here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/l34d6j...ning_Guide.pdf plus my vast exp with my Asus P8P67 Deluxe and 2600k.

Best overclock I can get that's stable is 4.2 and at full throttle my temps are, well, up there. 75 - 80c.

Was a huge mistake to invest the money in this project. Should have stuck with the 2600k at 5GHz and just bought a 2nd HD 7970. I feel stupid for not paying heed to everyone's advice.

SB at 4.4Ghz is about the same as IB at 4.2Ghz.

Out of curiosity what voltage are you supplying to the CPU? I am going to be putting together a similar build this week.

Aiming for 4.5 on 1.2v.

Was a huge mistake to invest the money in this project. Should have stuck with the 2600k at 5GHz and just bought a 2nd HD 7970. I feel stupid for not paying heed to everyone's advice.

I don't know why you would have left a 5.0Ghz Sandy for Ivy - all the reviews showed that the Ivy wasn't going to be able to get higher enough on the clocks to beat that chip, unless you really needed PCIe 3.0 for some reason.

I don't know why you would have left a 5.0Ghz Sandy for Ivy - all the reviews showed that the Ivy wasn't going to be able to get higher enough on the clocks to beat that chip, unless you really needed PCIe 3.0 for some reason.

Agreed, there was more than enough 'word of mouth' that Ivy didn't overclock as high.

I think the irony is that if he had gone with another 7970 instead, he would have been able to utilize PCIe 3.0.

Damn you computers. *shakes fist*

Its Not a Terrible chip But Intel DID NOT NEED TO PUT IT OUT.. If it wasnt a HUGE step over sandy. AND ITS NOT. its llike Sandys Retarded little brother ..lol. only way i can realy Put it. lol. Itel is getting Greedy as hell.plain and simple.

it almost looks like as if Intel wanted Ivy to run hot so people dont oc them to death.

Its Not a Terrible chip But Intel DID NOT NEED TO PUT IT OUT.. If it wasnt a HUGE step over sandy. AND ITS NOT. its llike Sandys Retarded little brother ..lol. only way i can realy Put it. lol. Itel is getting Greedy as hell.plain and simple.

Actually, it is a step in the right direction. 2d transistors are reaching their end. The future is 3d whether we like it or not, and future revisions you won't even care that it's 3d.

ok i have a few question for you guys here , because i get the impression most of you got a clue bout
bout cpus and componends .
first of right now i got an core 2 duo [email protected] wich i bought in june 2007(still works like a bomb).
Now i want to upgrade ...but instead of finding guidance here i found epeens blabbering bout a few gh.
ok i realize this is an overclockers forum and such things are important for you ppl , but for mortals like
me its like me its like reading through hyroglyphes.

NVM..i plan on a 3570k rig (dont think ima OC it ..but its nice to know that i could)
Asus Z77 V pro board (the cheapest form Asus available in my country)
Corsair 400r
Gskill ares blue 2x 4gb @1600
Corsair AX1200 (i know its overkill but its on campain for 250 bucks )
WD caviar blue 500gb
samsung SH 22bb
thermalright true spirit 120
MSI N560GTX-Ti

sorry i hijacked the topic a bit , but since im aiming for 3570k , i thought it fits

Another thing is remember how everyone said multi core was bs? Where would we be if we never got dual core? Sometimes good comes from change, albeit sometimes awhile after.

LOL tru.ahhhaahah.. But atleast they could have actualy beat the sandys though.LOL. Not stepped backward. I mean Yea the Mem controller is better But Realy If you cant OC the thing whoTF cares.lol.

LOL tru.ahhhaahah.. But atleast they could have actualy beat the sandys though.LOL. Not stepped backward. I mean Yea the Mem controller is better But Realy If you cant OC the thing whoTF cares.lol.

I feel your pain man, we are all disappointed in Ivy, early reviews told us it would be the “everything” chip, it’s not, and that sucks but we gotta move past it.

They absolutely did need to put it out. Intel gets most of its glory during their TOCK cycles, the tick is a stepping stone for the forthcoming tock.

ok i have a few question for you guys here , because i get the impression most of you got a clue bout
first of right now i got an core 2 duo [email protected] wich i bought in june 2007(still works like a bomb).
Now i want to upgrade ...but instead of finding guidance here i found epeens blabbering bout a few gh.
ok i realize this is an overclockers forum and such things are important for you ppl , but for mortals like

NVM..i plan on a 3570k rig (dont think ima OC it ..but its nice to know that i could)
Corsair 400r
WD caviar blue 500gb
samsung SH 22bb
MSI N560GTX-Ti

sorry i hijacked the topic a bit , but since im aiming for 3570k , i thought it fits

That is a solid upgrade, but no need for a 1200 watt PSU for that setup. Any decent 500-600W will be more than ample, spend that extra on the GPU.

They absolutely did need to put it out. Intel gets most of its glory during their TOCK cycles, the tick is a stepping stone for the forthcoming tock.

Ramon this will fall on deaf ears. :D I can't even tell you how many times this has been pointed out in other threads. Apparently the Tick >> Tock product cycle is too complex to understand.

We are still going to get the entitlement crowd in here going "WTFOMFGBBQ!!! I can't overclock to 6ghz on stock volts!!! Ivy Bridge is fail!!!!"

Go back and look at all the performance gains from past tick launches. People would have had more realistic expectations. And if I hear anymore TIM vs. Solder BS I am going to shoot myself. :)

I realize that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that opinion is just dumb..For non-enthusiats, it is still a win - much better graphics and lower power use is great for OEMs and laptops. Just because it didn't meet your personal needs doesn't mean they didn't need to make it. Plus it helps them refine the process and tri-gate for the next iteration.

Ramon this will fall on deaf ears. :D I can't even tell you how many times this has been pointed out in other threads. Apparently the Tick >> Tock product cycle is too complex to understand.

We are still going to get the entitlement crowd in here going "WTFOMFGBBQ!!! I can't overclock to 6ghz on stock volts!!! Ivy Bridge is fail!!!!"

Go back and look at all the performance gains from past tick launches. People would have had more realistic expectations. And if I hear anymore TIM vs. Solder BS I am going to shoot myself. :)

Snoops has the podium! Full agreement.

it almost looks like as if Intel wanted Ivy to run hot so people dont oc them to death.
Better hide, the stealth helicopters are hovering and Intel SWAT team is fast roping onto your roof right now. :cool:

I guess that could be taken the wrong way. I mean, I agree with you, now do you see why they didnt use fluxless solder?

This is how Skott wrapped it up.

“Yeah but everyone knows by now IB will run cooler and draw less power at temps below 4.5-4.6. That's where IB shines. If you want crazy top clocks get SB. If you want moderate clocks, especially in htpc, SFF, and laptops, where less heat and power draw is more critical get IB. I chuckle when people complain 4.6GHz isn't enough.”

I’ll say it again he Nailed It! Reducing all the babble to intelligent consensus. If you have not arrived here yet, I hope you do soon, Ivy is also going to be the better choice for silent enthusiasts who are not overclocking. For superclocks, it’s still going to remain Sandy Bridge.

It’s a nutshell accept it.:)

one core peaked at 86C, which works for me. I have my AC on today, that same core is about 74C. The real test will be tonight with all the filters and panels install on my 550D.

Next, I'll be re-attempting 4.7 on MSI's new uEFI update.

New i7 3770k here with Asus Sabertooth Z77 board. Spent all night trying to get it dialed in. Horrible temps. AS5 applied and re-applied twice. Using Corsair H100 with Push / Pull fans. Excellent contact with the CPU.

Used the ASUS Z77 UEFI Tuning Guide for overclocking, found here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/l34d6j...ning_Guide.pdf plus my vast exp with my Asus P8P67 Deluxe and 2600k.

Best overclock I can get that's stable is 4.2 and at full throttle my temps are, well, up there. 75 - 80c.

SB at 4.4Ghz is about the same as IB at 4.2Ghz.
Well you can try improving on Intel's TIM for the IHS. Try delidding the CPU and replacing Intel's TIM with Indigo Extreme. You may be permanently sticking the IHS onto the CPU, so beware. Then put the lid back on (if you can) and see if the temps are better. I am not sure this will work because the thickness of the Indigo Extreme may be different from the OEM TIM. Maybe one piece of Indigo Extreme on the chip and one piece on the IHS will be best. The other alternative is instead of putting the IHS back on, to affix it directly to the Heat Sink. This hasnt worked in other tests, although i dont believe anybody has used indigo extreme or heat sinks designed for pulling heat from a small area like an IVB chip, and this will be permanently affixing the chip to the big heat sink, so I wouldnt do it, but it might work. I think the IHS is good and you need to improve on Intel's TIM (the "bottleneck"). Remember the SAS motto, "who dares wins". It seems to be a good overclocker's motto too....

Corsair 400r
WD caviar blue 500gb
samsung SH 22bb
MSI N560GTX-Ti

Better to post this in the [H] "General Hardware" forum. Follow the request int he link below first though.

Those guys can really help you out with build advice - they know the lay of the land and do it every day. There are several components you listed that I wouldn't buy. That is unless they really are best considering cost in your country. And if you are just soliciting votes for yes or no on IB - no, I would not buy IB. Unless you can find it cheaper than SB, I just wouldn't do it.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1349433

The air coming out of the back being cooler has nothing to do with that, the cpu has more surface area to clear so hs/f's will be more cool to the touch even though the cpu is running hot underneath.

So Ivy Bridge has nothing to do with my lower case temperatures?... :rolleyes:

Even at 4.5ghz I'm only seeing load power draw of 125w... on my i5 760 under similar loads it was 200w.

I don't really care about core temperature. I'm just happy it uses a lot less power and I got a 1.8x cpu performance gain.

So Ivy Bridge has nothing to do with my lower case temperatures?... :rolleyes:

Even at 4.5ghz I'm only seeing load power draw of 125w... on my i5 760 under similar loads it was 200w.

I don't really care about core temperature. I'm just happy it uses a lot less power and I got a 1.8x cpu performance gain.

Loving your lower chassis temperatures, tell me more!:D

Way Off topic but still cool, I don’t know where else to post this great stuff. It’s like the Noctua hardware, so far out there so amazing, but does anyone know about it?

Just sharing pc tools. They just kick ass over Stanley and Craftsman and all the other mainstream brands.

Yup just a precision screwdriver (gets no love) and a magnetizer, but highly engineered. Ok sorry if I am waaaay off topic, but aren’t we here to share?

IMG_0687.jpg

See, power cost savings mean very little to me. I'm a power user. And besides, I already know the real world cost difference between SB and IB is $10 to $15 dollars yearly.

I think a lot of people are using the the whole lower voltage and power savings as a crutch to validate their purchase. Since when did enthusiasts care about wall octane to achieve their overclocks? Never. At least that's the way it seems to me.

Yeah, I'm a little salty but no one to blame but myself I guess. I would tell anyone with a SB even remotely thinking about coming over to IB to think long and hard before they take that plunge. Seems I'm not the only one with low clocks and high temps. Seems everyone basically gave a lot cpu horse power up to save what amounts to a cost of a Papa Johns Pizza.

I should have listened to the hundreds of people and dozens of reviews that said don't upgrade to IB that the was nothing to gain.

What's even more funny? I'm back on my old 2600k at 5Ghz. Why? Simple. Its a hell of a lot of faster.

See, power cost savings mean very little to me. I'm a power user. And besides, I already know the real world cost difference between SB and IB is $10 to $15 dollars yearly.

I think a lot of people are using the the whole lower voltage and power savings as a crutch to validate their purchase. Since when did enthusiasts care about wall octane to achieve their overclocks? Never. At least that's the way it seems to me.

Yeah, I'm a little salty but no one to blame but myself I guess. I would tell anyone with a SB even remotely thinking about coming over to IB to think long and hard before they take that plunge. Seems I'm not the only one with low clocks and high temps. Seems everyone basically gave a lot cpu horse power up to save what amounts to a cost of a Papa Johns Pizza.

I should have listened to the hundreds of people and dozens of reviews that said don't upgrade to IB that the was nothing to gain.

What's even more funny? I'm back on my old 2600k at 5Ghz. Why? Simple. Its a hell of a lot of faster.

Is the 2500k @ 5ghz really that much faster than a 3770k at 4.5?

We definitely don't represent the majority of enthusiasts, but I'm an SPC SFFer and I'm definitely looking forward to undervolting and overclocking my 3570k :p

I also think most of us in this thread with IB's came from non SB cpu's. So to us it's a big step up.

Way Off topic but still cool, I don’t know where else to post this great stuff. It’s like the Noctua hardware, so far out there so amazing, but does anyone know about it?

Just sharing pc tools. They just kick ass over Stanley and Craftsman and all the other mainstream brands.

Yup just a precision screwdriver (gets no love) and a magnetizer, but highly engineered. Ok sorry if I am waaaay off topic, but aren’t we here to share?

Thats great because i am in need of a screwdriver like those (that one has diff tips inside it right?). However...whats the point of the post if you dont mention the Brand or model of your precious screwdriver and magnetizer? And/Or a link for those of us that are interested in purchasing it?

I have a 2600k, 8 threads, 5Ghz stable. Not a 2500k. Think max volt is 1.42 something and temps max out at 72 - 73c. Bought the cpu off eBay where the guy had it listed as 5.2Ghz stable for $375 maybe 8 months ago. I've validated it at 5.2Ghz and put it through 45 mins of stress testing before stopping it. I decided on 5Ghz was a good round number and have tested that at 24+ hours of stress testing.

My 3770k at 4.2Ghz is fast but not faster than my 5Ghz SB. I had to drop my 2600k down to 4.4Ghz to match the IB basic benchmarks that I ran. If my SB is clocked 4.5Ghz and higher, it benches faster than the 3770k.

Anyone with both systems can perform the same kinda of tests with similar results.

Don't get me wrong. IB is nice. Screaming system, nice board and cpu along with nice feature set, just, not really needed if you already have a 2500/k 2600/k system.

My complaint is more with myself not listening to the general consensus that was out there more than the performance of the chip. Even though a majority of people will lose performance or not gain as much performance with IB over SB, it's still a nice system and is after all an update to SB. I'm really hoping that new revisions of IB fix the heat issues and allow people to really get some nice numbers out of the chip vs. the low overclocks people are getting now myself included

I did run heaven benchmarks on both systems, ib at 4.2ghz and SB at 4.4 using HD 7970 and score was nearly the same. I'm too tired tonight but I will try crossfire tomorrow in both systems and see if the motherboard handles crossfire any better.

Last edited:
Back