Post Your Networkdiagram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a project I'm working on at work to upgrade our backup infrastructure. We've added a buttload of storage via an EMC SAN, so we're upgrading our backup solution to handle the added 15 terabytes of storage.

Mostly we're moving the backup traffic of our biggest nodes off of the network to the fiber switch. In tests, backups of our exchange cluster went from 5+ hours to 45 minutes. :D:D

In addition we're using VMWare Consolidated backups so that the guest OS doesn't have to perform the backup itself. Insted ESX will perform a backup of the whole image to tape.

BackupInfrastructure.jpg

I'll just add my uninteresting network to keep this thread out of the grave :)

networkgs5.jpg

networkupdatedrt2.jpg

Here's my home network, just finished the diagram now and I might just take some pics of it all after I'm done moving into my basement. :D

Can i ask you a question, when you write the name of a object on visio how do you get the text to go to the side instead of underneath?

I use the annotations tab in the shapes selection and choose 8pt text, then I can move it about. I don't know of any other way to write text, but then again I don't use Visio at all for anything apart from the occasional network diagram.

EDIT: Make sure you choose Detailed network diagram, instead of Basic network diagram.

I use the annotations tab in the shapes selection and choose 8pt text, then I can move it about. I don't know of any other way to write text, but then again I don't use Visio at all for anything apart from the occasional network diagram.

EDIT: Make sure you choose Detailed network diagram, instead of Basic network diagram.

Cheers, yeah i allways use detailed :p

Finally did a layout of my home network, including my test lab, including newly added SAN storage:

Network.png

:eek: Nice

Bit of an overkill?

Heh heh. Currently, yes.

Very shortly, though, the right side of that map will be removed to a colo facility so it'll be out of the office and taking production traffic. I just thought it would be fun to post a home network map that included two 2-computer clusters and 2TB of fiber-connected SAN storage. :D

Heh heh. Currently, yes.

Very shortly, though, the right side of that map will be removed to a colo facility so it'll be out of the office and taking production traffic. I just thought it would be fun to post a home network map that included two 2-computer clusters and 2TB of fiber-connected SAN storage. :D

uuh
SAN @ home

So, I'll be the first. What SAN is it and any pics?

It's an old Compaq MSA1000. My work was throwing it away (!!!) so I gobbled it up. I'll have pics for it up soon in the "pics of your network" thread.

I have two trays for it which translates to 28 72gb u320 10k SCSI drives as well as the failover modules with 512mb of battery backed cache for it, so it moves along at a pretty good clip. I certainly doesn't even come close to the speeds of our new SAN at work, but it's perfect for my needs and allows me to build clusters for failover and better high-availibility.

...and you don't even want to know what this thing is doing to my electric bill.

It's an old Compaq MSA1000. My work was throwing it away (!!!) so I gobbled it up. I'll have pics for it up soon in the "pics of your network" thread.

I have two trays for it which translates to 28 72gb u320 10k SCSI drives as well as the failover modules with 512mb of battery backed cache for it, so it moves along at a pretty good clip. I certainly doesn't even come close to the speeds of our new SAN at work, but it's perfect for my needs and allows me to build clusters for failover and better high-availibility.

...and you don't even want to know what this thing is doing to my electric bill.

post some pics ;)

Network.jpg

my gaming rig, laptop and ultra portable notebook is still in the process of being "researched" or "purchased" but will be added soon

i live alone so they are all mine.

EDIT: router pics, switch pix coming soon

Router1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back