Post Your Custom Fabs!!!!

malor

Limp Gawd
Alright, here's for people with mad skill. Post your completely fabricated enclosures. Wether it be a full tower case, to a usb box. If it's 100% self fabricated, post it please.

I built a gamepad....I'm 17 and I love to make electronic based things...The 3 buttons on the top are actually the axis. I only had one cover so I put it on the left/right axis. It's gradual and you turn them, practical for helicopters, etc.
1.bmp

2.bmp
3.bmp

Home-made :p
The real pain was to make the buttons hold correctly, so there's a piece of wood for each one of them below.

T-nm said:
I built a gamepad....I'm 17 and I love to make electronic based things...The 3 buttons on the top are actually the axis. I only had one cover so I put it on the left/right axis. It's gradual and you turn them, practical for helicopters, etc.
1.bmp

2.bmp
3.bmp

Home-made :p
The real pain was to make the buttons hold correctly, so there's a piece of wood for each one of them below.

Kudos on the game pad. I'd like to see what you might build in the future.

Front faceplate for my SFF. It will hold a blue led fan inside to make it light up and be an outtake fan hence the grill sides for airflow.
PICT0818.jpg

PICT0817.jpg

Rax, what do you cut your acrylic with? is it all laser cut or did you just pull out a drill press for the holes?

You guys make me so jealous that I have little skill with building stuff.

And props on Fat Bastard.

arnett said:
Rax, what do you cut your acrylic with? is it all laser cut or did you just pull out a drill press for the holes?

Cuts are either a band saw or a table saw (with the right blades) or cut for free by the plastic supplier. Holes are by hand or drill press or a combination of the two.

It takes pratice for sure! I've found the scroll saw to be the most challenging so far, but it IS a LOT of FUN building the cases.

I buy from the scrap pile for practice material.For projects full sheets (4'x8') are a lot cheaper but a pain to cut down. If the supplier cuts the price is about double but they do hold a tight tolerance and keep everything square, which is harder than you'd think.

A very simple fan controller... just a potentiometer mounted on a board and attached to a 3pin fan header...

rheobus1.jpg

rheobus2.jpg

Bob Squad said:
final_frame01.jpg

Once I finish this frame everything except the mobo tray will be custom made.
Why would you custom fab a case if you already have (i'm assuming) a Lian Li? It's cool nevertheless...

Bob Squad said:
final_frame01.jpg

Once I finish this frame everything except the mobo tray will be custom made.

Hmm, whate are you doing for side panels? plan on getting creative at all?

I do have a Lian-Li, but I bought this tray by itself from so-trick. This frame is for the wood case I made four years ago.

lol I like the Fat Bastard doll on your case Rax. Nice job, but is it safe to be out in the open like that?

Vulnerable to static, dust, etc...it cant be safe at all lol. Also how's your temps on that? Does it stay at room?

Mudd said:
lol I like the Fat Bastard doll on your case Rax. Nice job, but is it safe to be out in the open like that?

Vulnerable to static, dust, etc...it cant be safe at all lol. Also how's your temps on that? Does it stay at room?

Thanks. I used to have the Fat Bastard at work, but it was so coveted that I feared for its safety and took it home. Also, when you pull the string it is not very PolCor.

I have been building "open" cases for years and I have never had any type of problem. I do have to put a grill on the fans so the cats won't hurt themselves.

There has never been a static problem either.

Dust is not a problem, in fact it is less of one than in closed cases. Honest.

Open cases always run at essentially room temp and are much less likly to overheat, especially when the room's temperature fluxuates. Also, cooler air is provided to the CPU so it runs cooler, too.

And it is less of a hassel to change components.

Since all the higher voltages/ampres are inside the power supply it is not likly to hurt anyone. But you do have to be careful not to spill on it or drop anything metalic on them.

Also, if you drop them they may shatter or break or crack easier than a metal case.

Anyway, I am obviously very biased....

My new project is to make a gamepad-like thing from a keyboard pcb. As I have a usb keyboard, I can use both ps2 and usb.
Also, I added a new button to my mouse which is connected to the pcb too.
The keypad will have 6 buttons; 3 program buttons from logitech and the numeric keys 7,8 and 9. The mouse will have CTRL right button.

I already finished the pcb work and the mouse button, I only need to find a good box for the keypad and some switches for the buttons.

I'll post pictures when my computer will be back from reperations (my x800xt-pe fan died, and the computer can't work without an pci-e card lol).
Hope you're interested.

Back