Post your 3D renderings.

dr.stevil

[H]F Junkie
Saw a few people on here did 3dsmax (et al) work

post some of your renderings :)

here are a few quick ones. Just started using v-ray on and off for the past year or so.... been using max for about 4 years and 3d modeling (mechanically) for around 10 years

these are some test images, playing with some of the settings inside vray. They make great wallpaper though :p

25g6y5h.png

Vray_teapot_enclosure.not-t.png

a header... one of my first renderings, done with max 5 and mental ray (IIRC)
351d3k1.png

this is all I have here... share some of your works :)

wow, amazing work.

how long have you been doing this for? you certainly have an amazing talent. What software/renderer are you using?

keep up the good work :)

Uh, geez, I guess about three or four years now. I mostly use Lightwave, modo, Photoshop and Shake. All those three images were rendered in modo and retouched in Photoshop.

mmmm ray tracing it looks like? Looks delicious.
Ray tracing is an integral part of pretty much all rendering nowadays, even if the method used is scanline rendering or REYES or what have you. Even Pixar's Renderman is doing it. mental ray does nothing but ray tracing, and I think the same applies to Vray.

Thanks. Keep in mind that I have the privilege of doing 3D for, well, pretty much all hours of the day. That makes for great practice. :p

*bows to rackham*
and i thought i was good at my job, that stuff is very very impresive.

I got bored at work one day and redid a rendering I sent to the people at the Navy Memorial in DC for a project that I did. Its the Stockdale Award for Navy Officers of the year. The version I sent to them, when looking back at it, looks like crap. I have other stuff that I am slowly retouching.

Critiques welcomed.
camera1vp7.jpg

One I did a long time ago for a clients office space which they ended up not going with the redesign in the end :( I kept getting some reflection prolems as you can see in the office chair.
smallconferenceroomwithxt5.jpg

Robot Rendered With Mental Ray (Modeled in Max)
Robot___Large_Front___Red_by_DXBigD.jpg

Gavel Rendered With Mental Ray (modeled in Max)
3D_Gravel_by_DXBigD.jpg

Holloween Pumpkin, modeled and rendered in Max with MRay
D___s_Holloween_Pumpkin___2008_by_DXBigD.jpg

VRay Caustics Test (Not very high quality)
Glass___VRay_Caustics_Test_by_DXBigD.jpg

Tanks With Scaline Renderer
Quad_Tank___Desert_Scene_by_DXBigD.jpg

Units With Scanline Renderer
RTS___Experimental_Walkers_02_by_DXBigD.jpg

Team Fortress 2 Fire Sentry Gun, rendered with MRay - YouTube Video Here
TF2_Style_Sentry_Flame_Gun_by_DXBigD.jpg

All were personal projects. The fire sentry animation was for a CGSociety.org competition where you had to animate something coming out of a box in the style of Team Fortress 2.

b1m2x3, that is retardedly awesome :D

Still a work in progress, however these renders are pretty much done.

3DS Max Design 2009 - AutoCAD 2009 - Photoshop CS3 - V-Ray 1.5SP2

Currently rendering walkthrough, fly around, will post when complete.

FP4-Entrace.png

FP4-Deck.png

1-4.jpg

Note: I did not design the above building. I modelled/rendered this merely for a visualization study. The original building is a boathouse designed Shim-Sutcliffe Architects. Located in Muskoka, Ontario

Last edited:
Thats sick too Empty Quarter, I want to live there :), best thing i ever rendered was a car in autocad :)

Been wanting to get into this stuff for years, but I'm too impatient to let it render. I'd need a dedicated computer for it so I could carry on dicking around while it rendered.

I wouldn't mind a tablet and a copy of zbrush, either.

very nice work posted in here :)

supaspoon, what did you use to model those? zbrush/mudbox? awesome work

Been wanting to get into this stuff for years, but I'm too impatient to let it render. I'd need a dedicated computer for it so I could carry on dicking around while it rendered.

I wouldn't mind a tablet and a copy of zbrush, either.

My boss at work says that 15 minutes is an eternity for a rendering, and the quality he pumps out shows just that. I have had a render take 2.5 days and I know 1 person who had a single shot take a MONTH!!

Hopefully I will have something else to post up here soon

My boss at work says that 15 minutes is an eternity for a rendering, and the quality he pumps out shows just that. I have had a render take 2.5 days and I know 1 person who had a single shot take a MONTH!!

Hopefully I will have something else to post up here soon

Just lol. Though, I feel your pain. Most of 'my' work is just my personal stuff I do on my own time, but for a living I just do Archviz in house for a local firm. My boss is very old school (he used to work for Van der Roh), and has little to no understanding of my working process. I can't count the number of times he's expected me to pump out a rendering in only a few hours. Like literally, "Can you make a rending of this? I need it 24"x36" by 4 o'clock." :confused:
Thankfully, since my only choice when he does that is to do it by hand, he's starting to learn to give me slightly more advanced notice.

Anyway, yeah a small personal renderfarm would be fantastic for anyone seriously into this stuff. It's been on my 'to-do' list for a while, but something else always seems to come up. :mad:

Wow this thread is making me want to learn about rendering even more

Anyway, yeah a small personal renderfarm would be fantastic for anyone seriously into this stuff. It's been on my 'to-do' list for a while, but something else always seems to come up. :mad:

At work for a new project that we are doing, I will try to network up the 3 machines by my desk (all quad cores with 4gb ram each) for a fly through rendering. However, I know that I will get pissed at my 2 coworkers and tell them to do their own rendering of the project and I will do mine and get it to look 1000x better then what they will get. I have been trying for over 2 years for them to get their quality up, but its a lost cause. :mad:

At work for a new project that we are doing, I will try to network up the 3 machines by my desk (all quad cores with 4gb ram each) for a fly through rendering. However, I know that I will get pissed at my 2 coworkers and tell them to do their own rendering of the project and I will do mine and get it to look 1000x better then what they will get. I have been trying for over 2 years for them to get their quality up, but its a lost cause. :mad:

Yeah, I really hate the 'good enough' attitude people have. Where I live is absolutely rampant w/ it and it pisses me off to no end. In the grand scheme of things, I think my work is still quite amateur. I'm the only rendering artist where I work, but the stuff that comes out of some other local offices is just absolutely terrible. I just hate looking at something and having it be totally obvious that the person who made it doesn't give a shit.

very nice work posted in here :)

supaspoon, what did you use to model those? zbrush/mudbox? awesome work

sorry I just barely noticed this.

The Arch. one is Max9/vray.
The female shots are all just screen grabs from zbrush.
Some of the one of the guy w/ the weird head are also zbrush screens, except for the ones w/ the skin textured. Those are max9 using metal ray w/ the sss shader and displacement maps. They're basically wip renders for when i was trying to work out the skin shader, so it's still missing some tidbits like spec / refl maps etc. It also was having some errors w/ the displacement maps as well.

b1m2x3, that is retardedly awesome :D

Still a work in progress, however these renders are pretty much done.

3DS Max Design 2009 - AutoCAD 2009 - Photoshop CS3 - V-Ray 1.5SP2

Currently rendering walkthrough, fly around, will post when complete.

Note: I did not design the above building. I modelled/rendered this merely for a visualization study. The original building is a boathouse designed Shim-Sutcliffe Architects. Located in Muskoka, Ontario

Haha, thanks... your boathouse is looking sweet man.

I have a new demo reel up on my site:
www.neonshaun.com
currently looking for a job! I've got an interview with a dreamworks rep tomorrow! :D :D

Haha, thanks... your boathouse is looking sweet man.

www.neonshaun.com
currently looking for a job! I've got an interview with a dreamworks rep tomorrow! :D :D

Nice work man. Really like your atmosphics & particles work, good stuff. The only thing that really stuck out to me was the recoil motion on the transformer dude seemed a bit unnatural, but it's still light years beyond anything i could do. I still struggle w/ getting a simple walk cycle to look good lol.

Good luck with the interview.

www.neonshaun.com

Your reel looks great, but dear God, the color scheme on your website is downright painful. I understand it's "neon shaun" and all, but it does put quite a bit of strain on the eyes.

Yeah, I really hate the 'good enough' attitude people have. Where I live is absolutely rampant w/ it and it pisses me off to no end.

Here is an example of the same trade show booth, both being rendered for a client.

Here is one done by my boss
bossj.jpg

Here is the same one done by me with a few tweaks
view1.jpg

You know what the real bitch is? He will say that mine looks like shit compared to his when talking to CEO (who has a hand in every project) I can't believe that he does that every time. :mad:

Mine is not perfect by any means, but its a hell of a lot better then his

well, for what it's worth... yours looks MUCH MUCH nicer. I'm sure the CEO knows this too lol

good work

edit: for the people who do this for a living, how did you get into it? Do you have a design degree? Right place, right time? I would LOVE to get into the artistic side of 3d modeling/rendering (in my professional life). Doing mechanical stuff is cool, but there are a lot of limits on how creative you can get

edit: for the people who do this for a living, how did you get into it? Do you have a design degree? Right place, right time? I would LOVE to get into the artistic side of 3d modeling/rendering (in my professional life). Doing mechanical stuff is cool, but there are a lot of limits on how creative you can get

I don't know about the others. I originally got a degree in Interior Design/Architecture. Go ahead and laugh but think about this, I was the only straight guy in a major of 130 women, most of whom were hot and single. :D

But back on topic, I started with AutoCAD in design school with very little training in 3ds Max. So for 2 years after college, I would do 3d modeling at home just for fun and then I got my current job that allows me to do it all the time if I want to. The quality of my work, plus the knowledge of the software skyrocketed after that so now at my work, I am the resident AutoCAD and 3ds Max master.

You can get a free trial of Max (30 days), a Personal Learning Edition of Maya and a free version of Softimage XSI. There are a few others but I would suggest going to their sites, get the free versions, install them, find the tutorials and see which flavor you like.

Edit: Thanks for the kind words. My render that my boss did took 3 minutes. Mine took 45

lol thanks :)

I'm actually pretty fluent with max... I've been using it for the past 4 years or so, but it's all (with a few minor exceptions) been private work that I've done on my own for fun/to learn the software. I guess I'm just curious as to how to get into the business without going back to school. With the outlook of the current economy, I might be looking for work sooner than later if GM goes down :(

Your reel looks great, but dear God, the color scheme on your website is downright painful. I understand it's "neon shaun" and all, but it does put quite a bit of strain on the eyes.

Haha... thanks.

Here is an example of the same trade show booth, both being rendered for a client.

Here is one done by my boss
bossj.jpg

Here is the same one done by me with a few tweaks
view1.jpg

You know what the real bitch is? He will say that mine looks like shit compared to his when talking to CEO (who has a hand in every project) I can't believe that he does that every time. :mad:

Mine is not perfect by any means, but its a hell of a lot better then his

While yours does look tons better, remember that this is a public forum!
It's not good to berate any superior like that in a public place such as this... never know who's looking.

Back