post up your tiger experience

bahula03

Gawd
like the title says, for any of you that have tiger installed and running, post how the installation went, how you're liking/disliking the OS so far and any features that really stand out (I know about the main ones that have be advertised, but I'm curious if they'll be useful).

No Tiger experience yet cause mine still says "Processing Order". Damn bastards.

But I looked at the ArsTechnica review (It's 21 pages) and it looks really nice.

I haven't received my copy yet . . . . not for another 3 hours or so. I've heard mixed opinions so far but I'm still psyched.

Ive had mine for a few days now. Only problem so far is that I cant load UT2K4. I dont know why, installer just quits. Everything else is cool, im digging dashboard. I havent found a use for spotlight yet.

Installing it on my Mini right now. So far so good. I'm doing an "archive and install."

I haven't owned it long enough to collect a huge amount of personal files on it yet.

Dashboard really enhances the way I use my computer, especially when set up for hot corners. I just throw my mouse into a corner and it flies in with instant access to Dictionary/Thesaurus/Phonebook/Translation/Weather/etc. Throw it back and it flies out. Beautiful. Spotlight I am getting used to, but it feels pretty integral and important to the system. You can use it access anything and everything basically, but you'll have to break your old habits of accessing stuff first. I appreciate its integration into System Preferences. Haven't messed with smart folders or Automator.

I'm actually having more fun with the developer tools, anyone messed with Core Image Fun House yet? It's like a free photoshop filter app. And AU Lab, a digital audio mixer. Xcode 2.0...can't believe all this stuff comes free with Tiger. (Visual Studio is what, $1800?)

There are a lot of refinements too. The OS is so much faster, windows resize very smoothly now, Safari is also slick as hell with nary a trace of its old dogged ways. AirPort and Bluetooth also operate better now. Before I had to occasionally coax some devices to work at bootup. And you can now leave your processor performace setting to "Automatic" without having to worry about sluggish performace...another refinement. It's the way OS X should have always been. There's also some utterly breathtaking new wallpaper, and new screensavers.

The only issue here, which is obvious, is waiting for certain incompatible apps to make the transition to the Tiger codebase. Hopefully this won't take too long to smooth over (I don't have any context to this, not having been there for the Jaguar>Panther transition).

Edit: Oh yeah, this is all on an iMac G5, fresh install. Mileage may vary.

Aight, done installing, and spotlight is done indexing. It only took about 10 minutes to index the drive on my mini (I still don't have much installed on it yet though).

Overall look and feel, the responsiveness is about the same as Panther.
One kind of annoying thing is that they couldn't decide on a consistent look and feel-- Mail looks totally different from Safari, some sys preferences windows have the new look and some don't, etc.

Dashboard is very cool. I have hotcorners bound to Expose, so I bound command+rightclick to dashboard.

At 1280x1024x32bit resolution, the animations are all smooth, with dashboard and expose. It gets a bit choppy (just like Panther) if you go higher resolution than that on a mini.

No ripple effects on the dashboard.. supposedly there's a way to force enable that, using the CPU to render it, but I haven't found that option yet.

I was playing around with dashboard and saw Finder restart itself for some reason, though I can't duplicate it. Well it is a .0 release, I guess there will be a few bugs.

Haven't played with spotlight much, but I'm sure it'll be a great feature to have.

No problems during the archive + install, my apps and preferences work just like they did before. Seamless.

One note: WATCH YOUR MEMORY USAGE with those widgets! Each widget takes up a chunk of memory, about 10 megs each and another 15 for the dashboard itself.

Oh yeah, and the RSS Visualizer screensaver is very cool. :cool:

I think the widgets leave the memory if you haven't accessed Dashboard after a period of time, but I haven't confirmed it.

Arstechnica.com has an excellent review up - per usual they go into the nuts and bolts of Tiger. My copy just shipped today - I guess it'll be mid next week before I get it, but I got the up-to-date kit so I can't complain.

well I just loaded up on several (7) widgits and didn't see any memory differences than 3...as for my overall impression...i have been running for about 2 weeks now and for the most part I like it...mail takes a little getting used to but in general it has a similar feel to panther

My Tiger Experience: Work. I got dicked over and had to stay at work all day (as in just got home, not at the usual time). The Apple Store is an hour away and my wife is at her sister's house an hour away.

Always time during the weekend... yeah, right.

lol..sorry to hear that Twinson...my boss asked me if I could stay late tonight and the answer was only if I can be gone for a couple of hours before so I can go to an appointment...she said it was ok :D

People at apple dont like the Military ;)

I originally asked them on April 16th if they could send me my copy right away, because if they shipped it on the 16th, I still wouldnt get it by the 29th. But they said no :(

USMC2Hard4U said:
People at apple dont like the Military ;)

I originally asked them on April 16th if they could send me my copy right away, because if they shipped it on the 16th, I still wouldnt get it by the 29th. But they said no :(

lol..you should have purchased from MacMall :eek:

gigglebyte said:
lol..you should have purchased from MacMall :eek:

They wouldnt ship to me out here! hahaa.

I even said I would fax them a copy of my Military ID and my Orders but Apple still said "Fuxk j000 u PC Windowz usar"

:(

Supposedly the people that went through the trouble of actually mailing their copies of Tiger back to Mac Mall got iWork '05 for free (or maybe iLife). I don't have my Mac yet so I haven't tried Tiger, but I'm eager to read more reviews and experiences. I ordered a 14" iBook on the 8th and it shipped yesterday. :rolleyes:

Does anyone have experience with Tiger on an iBook? I'll be getting a 1.33GHz model and I kicked the RAM up to 768MB. I know the Radeon 9200 is the horrible bottleneck and that a Mini is going to perform exactly the same as an iBook, but I was curious about the "mobile" aspects of the OS.

my Tiger experience eats fucking dogballs.

got my copy. left work early, it was really nice out, so i went and hit up the pool for an hour, neglecting tiger. so after an hour or so, i went back inside, backed my stuff up. popped in the dvd, erased my drive. my superdrive starts clicking like an ethiopian. my fucking superdrive dies mid-install. called apple. the service box wont be in til monday, so im computerless for a week+.

sigh.

sorry to hear it Garage...but you will have it before ya know it...as for the mobile experience...I am now on my iBook and it is a G4 933 and running fine....haven't had any real issues with either boxes and if anything, I have noticed that the wireless signal is a bit better with 10.4 than 10.3 too WOOT

gigglebyte said:
sorry to hear it Garage...but you will have it before ya know it...as for the mobile experience...I am now on my iBook and it is a G4 933 and running fine....haven't had any real issues with either boxes and if anything, I have noticed that the wireless signal is a bit better with 10.4 than 10.3 too WOOT

Do you feel that 640MB of ram is enough? I have 768 in my 1.33Ghz iBook and am affraid of running too many widgets is goingg to kill my computer.

I picked mine up at the CompUSA in Fairfax, VA at 6:05PM. There was no one there to speak of but there were about 10 Family Packs of Tiger stacked up near a iMac. I grabbed the last single user copy out of that stack, and headed for the door after admiring that $%*&#@#$ 23" Cinema Display I lust after from afar. Damn what a display.

The guy at the counter said they had sold 18 copies in a hour's time.

I backed up my music and pictures to a DVD, burned it, kissed everything else good bye, and did a clean wipe of the hard drive with the base install. Installed iLife '05 after a reboot and then used SU to get updated versions. I've been poking around since then but it's really too soon to say much about how much better it is. I do notice a lot of little things spread all over the operating system that make more sense to me and/or I had wished Panther had "that".

I'll post more when I use it more than 1 hour.

i'll be picking up two coppies in the morning ($80 w00t), anywho i played with it for all of five minutes at work, and as mentioned, the widgets are uber convinient and definately, imho, break the OS out of the 'window' mentality.

I love the slow fade in and out effect, like the damn things are hovering behind you and just float on in. the ripple effect was a bit sluggish on the 12", however i hope it'll be butter smooth on my 15" with the more powerful 9700.

searchlight plain rocks, after having used buttler for the last like five months, i'm very happy to have an app that is built into the OS and doesn't take forever to load or search.

that was pretty much my experience for the few moments i spent with it today, i'll report back more tomorrow. ps, thanks for the comments on installing it on the mini, i'll go ahead and install on mine as well... speaking of which, im thinking about upgrading to a g5 if i can get $600 out of the mini (1.42ghz, 80gb, sd, 1gb, bluetooth and wifi, bt kb and mouse), damn you apple and your crack!

-esr

Captain Kirk's Blog said:
Today my Tiger pre-order came in, and like a child on Christmas, I eagerly installed the latest OS X update. Overall, Tiger has some pretty cool features. The dashboard is definitely going to come in handy. I played around with spotlight for a few minutes. It reminds of Beagle for Linux, but with more polish.

Unfortunately, I hit a few snags installing 10.4 on my Powerbook. The first problem I ran into was after the final reboot, I was no longer an administrator! I had to boot the system into single user mode, and run the net info command line utility to add myself back into the admin group. I can just see "regular" Mac users running into that issue...

The other problem was a bug with X11, that refused to bring windows to the front. How annoying. This only complicated my day at the office, when SSH Agent refused to load my DSA private key. God dammit. Eventually I had to install SSHKeyChain, which oddly enough, works better than SSH Agent.

I feel I should have been a sloth in terms of upgrading. I began to feel the hurt when I needed to print up some documents for some work I'm doing tomorrow. Tiger refused to connect to my XP box where my HP 7960 sits. Even though the SMB printer connection worked *fine* in Panther, Tiger wouldn't budge. No problem, right? Just need to re-install the printer. Nope. Tiger has misplaced the HP driver for the 7960. It feels like they pruned too many drivers from the database. I try a generic PS driver only to have my printer began queuing up blank page dysphoria.

I finally fixed my printer problem, two hours later. I had to install HP drivers from Linux Printing's Darwin section. What a waste of time. Perhaps if I had waited to upgrade, I might not have been bit by all these unexpected bugs. Ah well. I can forgive Apple, this time. With any luck Tiger will be up to speed and running well after Apple goes through it's initial cleanup cycle.
X-posted directly from my blog. I did an "upgrade." Part of me feels like I should have done an "Archive and Install."

picked up my copy after work and won a free itunes song off the scratchy thing at the apple store :D installed it while watching "dude where's my car?" (had company over, gotta be a good host :p ) the upgrade install went VERY smoothly and took all of about 4 clicks to get going. So far the OS has seriously surprised me, I don't usually get giddy about "productive" software, but this stuff is just sweet. It feels like my pb (1.33ghz 12"/80gb 5400rpm/768mb/superdrive) is running a tad bit slower, which may very well be due to doing an upgrade install. All the new graphics bits (including the dashboard "ripple") are running very smooth. Also, I've noticed a few small things so far, such as; much better wifi reception, better battery life, power settings built into the battery icon (so much easier than going into system prefs) and ichat actually correctly uses aim groups. So far I must say I am a very happy camper :)

EDIT- it runs slower when power management is set to conserve battery power (go figure), runs quite a bit faster plugged in and at full speed :)

Got my Family Pack pre-order delivered to my workplace at 10:30am yesterday.
Installed yesterday midday on my 15" 1.5Ghz Powerbook (2GB Memory, 80GB 5400 HD, SuperDrive, 9700Mobile 128MB). Used Archive and Install with Preserve Accounts and Network Settings.

A few notes:
  • Mail - make sure you remove any mail plug-ins and bundles like http-mail (used to connect to hotmail) before you install Tiger, otherwise Mail 2.0 will crap out and import of your old messages and accounts will fail. Even if it does, you could recover backed up mailboxes and drag them into Mail 2.0... but better to let it get imported correctly.
  • Like previous Archive and Installs... anything with a third party System Preference Pane (MenuMeters, iScroll2, GamePad Companion, Disctop Pro, Salling Clicker, etc.) needs to be reinstalled. Luckily they all work "mostly fine" with Tiger. iScroll2 does need to be reset to defaults and adjusted everytime I reboot though (which after setting up isn't too often).
  • Best to let Spotlight do it's initial indexing thang before doing anything major after you install... the Spotlight button shows a glowing dot when it's indexing.
  • The desktop eject button for Disctop Pro doesn't work... of course regular keyboard eject and dragging to trash does.
  • BlogWave Studio - Crashes when you try to open a new entry. Developers emailed me back and said that they will have a new version out next week that will support Tiger. I guess I'm not posting my Review of Tiger on my site for a week.
  • Carbon Copy Cloner - has authorization problems. There are work arounds that use sudo terminal strings but you'll still encounter root authorization problems when trying to restore.
  • iPodderXLite - download folder wants to be on the desktop even when you specify an alternate download spot in preferences.
  • BitTorrent - Locks up solid after a few seconds.
  • VirtualPC - it asks you to rerun the install (in place so you don't have to pop in a cd again), then there are some security authorization dialogs you have to swim through... then there's an error for Virtual Switch (just use Shared Networking instead). Then it's back to normal, only a wee bit faster if my senses didn't deceive me.
  • DiskWarrior - 3.02 ran from an emergency BootCD prior to upgrade. There's a Tiger ready version coming out next week 3.03 so won' run it again until then.
  • Cocktail - ran 3.5.4 before the update and initial CCC backup prior to installing, and used 3.6 (Tiger ready version) afterwards to clean up.
  • Virex 7.5 - deprecated on the .Mac site (only for download in Panther). I already knew about this so I uninstalled before I upgraded. Virex 7.6 is out (enterprise changes) but the Tiger ready version is 7.7 without an ETA. Apple seems to be phasing Virex out. I wonder if they'll replace with another antiviral utilitiy (or if it's needed at this point).

Overall everything seems FASTER for me: Finder file redraw, window resizing, application startup, system startup (at least 3 times faster than in Panther), with the speed difference in Safari being the most noticeable. Could just be because it's essentially a new install (Archive and Install) and my Panther install may have been getting bloated with stuff... but the change is too great for it to just be that. For those that just ran the default Upgrade, I suggest you do an Archive and Install.

Dashboard is so good, that I chucked Konfabulator (though I miss the desktop metaphor for Konfab in some ways, I now prefer the "out of your way"ness of Dashboard). Using a ton of Widgets (both included and downloaded... wondering what Apple has up their sleeves for the .Mac exclusive widgets which aren't available yet), and using up 379MB of memory out of my 2GB.

Spotlight: getting used to using it...

All other Apps (MSOffice, Quicken05, Photoshop, DreamWeaver, Flash, FireFox, iLife05, Final Cut Express HD, DVD Studio Pro 3, Toast 6 Titanium) and utilities (MenuMeters, Salling Clicker, SlimBattery Monitor, Gamepad Companion) worked perfectly. Now if I can get the updates for the few I mentioned above that were wonky, I'd be a happy man.

In the middle of doing a CCC backup before installing it on a Mac mini right now.

safari crashes every single time I side-scroll through my photo album on s2ki :( chalk one bug

I've had Safari crash on me a couple times... when scrolling down a page.

Finder has restarted by itself once (when messing with widgets on the dashboard) but it hasn't happened again.

The 1.42GHz G4 isn't powerful enough to play the H.264 HD content on Apple's site without dropping frames. I'm not talking about the 1080 content either.

Other than that, things are going pretty smooth.

yeah im a little pretterbed the h.264 vids are uber laggy on my powerbook. wtf.

-esr

Server has been an absolute nightmare so far.
Don't have time to go into it, but I do have this advice.

Do not put Tiger Server in to production yet

Anybody who upgrades a production server to a new OS immediately after its release has issues anyway.
:eek:

Maybe that's why Apple was having so many problems with their order tracking!

OS 10.4.1 should be very intresting :) I wonder how long its going to take them to come out with it?

I love Tiger so far. I went with a clean install and also installed a new copy of iLife 05 after the OS install.

Spotlight is simple to use and really handy. Safari 2.0 with RSS is everything I wanted in a browser. There is a wierd bug where I can only bookmark the first RSS feed for a page when there is more than one. I found a way around it though. Dashboard is really nice. I have the phone book and the weather widget set up for my area. It's really nice. Also, Mail works with exchange so much better.

All in all, a very good upgrade that I am glad to have.

USMC2Hard4U said:
OS 10.4.1 should be very intresting :) I wonder how long its going to take them to come out with it?
A long time.
There is no beta yet

Garage81 said:
my superdrive starts clicking like an ethiopian. my fucking superdrive dies mid-install. sigh.

That sucks, but is hilarious. I laughed at your expense, sorry dude.

I honestly have no plans to get tiger, based off the responses in this thread. spotlight and dashboard dont seem too amazing, and im worried about my poor 933mhz G4 getting overloaded.

109.gif

thats what i was going for. ill be a stronger person after this week is up. thats what i keep telling myself.

Back