Post up Your Color Combo MDPC-X Sleeving

the.ronin

Limp Gawd
Having just finished my own sleeving in classic black MDPC-X, I’m now wondering what some other color combos might look like. I’ve seen some clean white, black & red, and black & blue ... post up your color combo sleevings.

I’m thinking of doing some black & grey to match the EVGA color scheme and maybe throw in some black & red to match the ATI video card color scheme but don’t want to go overboard.

:D

4395255916_cb2ba1942e_o.jpg

4389807673_9fc85cd23e_o.jpg

4392911084_8c3c5205ed_o.jpg

4392897440_41170eddeb_o.jpg

4394487521_18a78dde9f_o.jpg

Call me boring but I really like the black / white / grey combo.

Do you have photos of that inside the case?

No photos of it in the case, it's just the sleeve. My personal favorite is the grand bleu/grey,

You may have to be the best sleever(?) out there Crysis, I've seen way to many uneven heatshrink cuts that aren't snug in the connectors. Props to you

I rarely find sleeving that looks like it's worth the effort, but yours is something else. Nice work.

nice sleeving Crysis.....makes me want to send the sleeving i need done to yoU :p....shame i want all my glory to myself LOL....how do you get such even cuts on your Heat Shrink ?use a square and a laser !??!

i don't have enough pairs of underwear to be able to look at this thread on a daily basis. See you all in a week.

Thanks all :)

This is the advice I posted @ XS:

To cut them to the same length, I have a piece of Styrofoam with a cutout (length 0.5"). The heatshrink is then pressed into the cutout, and cut it at the opening with scissors.

Just make sure the sleeve is exactly the same distance from the end of the pin, then secure it in place with self-closing tweezers or your fingers. Put the heatshrink over the sleeve and pin. Tilt the wire slightly downwards, so that the end of the heatshrink rests before the two fins on the pin. Then shrink away.

If the distance from the end of the exposed heatshrink to the end of the sleeve is too long, then take an exacto knife and cut away a small ring. If the HS is too short, cut it off and start again.

Do you shrink before the wire is inserted back into the connector? I did after because it seemed easier but my lengths appear all over the place since it's hard to be accurate using that method I guess.

I shrink before it's inserted into the connector. If you're having a hard time putting it in, heat it up a little bit with a lighter or heat gun.

Thanks all :)

This is the advice I posted @ XS:

To cut them to the same length, I have a piece of Styrofoam with a cutout (length 0.5"). The heatshrink is then pressed into the cutout, and cut it at the opening with scissors.

Just make sure the sleeve is exactly the same distance from the end of the pin, then secure it in place with self-closing tweezers or your fingers. Put the heatshrink over the sleeve and pin. Tilt the wire slightly downwards, so that the end of the heatshrink rests before the two fins on the pin. Then shrink away.

If the distance from the end of the exposed heatshrink to the end of the sleeve is too long, then take an exacto knife and cut away a small ring. If the HS is too short, cut it off and start again.

Is it possible for you to show a few pictures of your method?

This part

Also how it looks before it's inserted into the connector, thanks.

I am not going to bother sleeving again until I can match that quality...

That's a perfectionist at work haha...

I've been thinking about braiding the connectors. you should do a Black/White or Black/White/Blue and braid the 24pin and the PCIe and 8pins or something like that so I can see how awesome it looks.

How long does it take to receive the sleeve kit from MDPC-X?
I'm going to place my order soon unless on of you know where I can get some cheaper.

I've been thinking about braiding the connectors. you should do a Black/White or Black/White/Blue and braid the 24pin and the PCIe and 8pins or something like that so I can see how awesome it looks.

I tried something like that a while ago, but I only had black sleeve.

I grouped the 24 pin connector into 6 groups of 4 pins each, then did 2 triple braids. First time I tried it, could have tried to make them tighter but then you shorten the length of the overall cable too.

http://www.lousyhero.com/blaze/nhtpc1.jpg

You can sorta see it there... I was bored and had a bunch of sleeving laying around so I went a little crazy on the HTPC.

Since then I stripped that sleeving off and just went with a fat piece for all 24 pins. It's in a little mini-itx case you can't see anyways.

Here's the sleeving process photos I promised (sorry for the long wait):

4454968875_fb757ce783_o.jpg

4455748596_6b03601c33_o.jpg

I couldn't get a good shot of tilting down the wire, but I hope you can see what I mean in the second pic (imagine the wire upside-down).

More color combos:

4446326280_1f76c0d934_o.jpg

4445568779_04716c89e5_o.jpg

Enjoy :)

Great, that's what I needed. The end of the heat shrink should going into the connector right?

How long does it take to receive the MDPC-X Sleeve kit?

Yes, hs should go in the connector. All the order I've placed have taken 8-9 business days to arrive, except for one that was delayed at customs and took a month.

I don't think i saw this one in here, heres mine. I've seen this color combo prior to doing it (more loosely though) and thought it would match my build perfect:

HPIM1582.JPG

I don't think i saw this one in here, heres mine. I've seen this color combo prior to doing it (more loosely though) and thought it would match my build perfect:

HPIM1582.JPG

thanks for the help. Black/White/Blue it is :D

i am doing mine now but i am using this

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...32_656&zenid=fa0bcd5dc2156414d77e309e16578817

this stuff is made of some kind of soft fabric, it kind of feels like an old shoe lace. is the mdpc-x sleeving made out of plastic like pet, or is it fabric also? by the pics, and the way its coiled, it looks like it is a lot stiffer than the ppcs.

this will give you an idea. here it is next to an nzxt extension.

4425359385_8a4509667f.jpg

my psu (zalman 1000hp) uses 16awg wiring, which makes fitting the heat shrink into the connectors very tough. is there a particular brand of heatshrink that has very thin walls?

Last edited:
man those cable sleeves are sexy as hell. I just find it ironic that people spend so much time sleeving, then do the best job they can trying to hide them in their case :bah:

MDPC is just like any other sleeve on the market just much thicker weave and now in lots of awesome colors.

But no, it's still plastic but it's not as stiff as those coils lead you to believe, it's flexible... and expands a lot which is handy. I've used the small sleeve to fit 3-4 thinner wires, like for P4 cable in my HTPC, and it was still thick enough to hide the color of the wires underneath.

man those cable sleeves are sexy as hell. I just find it ironic that people spend so much time sleeving, then do the best job they can trying to hide them in their case :bah:

i am in the middle of pulling 120 feet of sleeving over 60 wires at about 1/4" at a pull. there is no way i am hiding this.

What gave you that impression?

I like showing mine off iRobot stylez lols. :D

fenrir1.jpg

fenrir3.jpg

I’m still tossed up between going with a grey + black combo where maybe 1 in 5 are grey as a nod to the EVGA color scheme. Or where the PCIE wires are red to flow into the redness of the 5850. Or some combination of both??

I'm ready to place my order but just want to make sure I order enough! How much is actually needed to do all black with a few strands of a different color?

The sleeving is expensive and I don't want to over or under order. Does anyone have an amount they would recommend?

I'm ready to place my order but just want to make sure I order enough! How much is actually needed to do all black with a few strands of a different color?

The sleeving is expensive and I don't want to over or under order. Does anyone have an amount they would recommend?

Depends completely on the PSU. If you're going to be sleeving it the full length, then multiply the length of each cable by the number of wires it has (ie a 20" 24pin will use 480 inches = ~12.2 meters). For reference... to fully uni-sleeve every wire (including all modular cables) on the Corsair HX1000 you'll need 96 meters.

Back