Post Pictures of your GPU Mod!

Yeah, it is a pretty good image. Possibly the only image of a zalman cooler that I actually like.

revenant said:
yepp - done that... they seem to max out at 1365 or 1370... 1350 is good to go all day and night though.... very solid. :) I think if I used AS epoxy I might gain a few extra mhz... but it's not worth the hassle ATM.
gtx-loop5.JPG

it's a little gehtto, but the 80mm --> 60mm adapter helps funnel the air really well, so it hits the cards hard, and not too much of the surrounding areas. I am thinking up a more elegant design for it...

hmm...I cant tell from the picture but do you have a place for the hot air to escape? it looks like all of them are headed at the ram sinks. Just wondering.

MrGuvernment said:
k, first you say something you CANT buy in a store, but then you say something like an ATI silencer......

So which is it :)

Actually at first it was suppossed to be something like putting a cpu hs on a gpu. It was suppossed to say not to post ATI silencer pictures and stuff. But I'm glad I typed it wrong cus this thread has been cooler with all kinds of mods :p

l0cke said:
[IMGhttp://img218.imageshack.us/img218/7523/picture037sized4fo.jpg[/IMG]
old celeron heatsink cut up and put on a s3 ViRGE

Do I spy a freebie tube of thermal paste? ;)

Not so much of a Mod as a FIX.

So my wifes Pc had this 5950 Ultra in it....and the fans stopped working.

I (and my friend) did this to fix it, and was happy to see it works!!

I ended up buying her a 6800GS to put in her PC (it is mucho nice) and I guess I will put this 5950 into a PC that has no side window :)

videomodfix.jpg

alik4041 said:
hmm...I cant tell from the picture but do you have a place for the hot air to escape? it looks like all of them are headed at the ram sinks. Just wondering.
[snip]

yeah - it sort of swirls out of the back and front... I have moved the fans around a little for better flow.. it's getting the job done pretty well. :)

EDIT: I have the pci slot covers off, and my rad is directly above the cards pulling air up.. there's a TON on ventilation!

9800 pro with a socket A Heatsink. Added 25Mhz to the OC and runs significantly cooler.
it covers 2 pci slots, but it's not an issue

9800pro5.jpg

Yeah, I would get a bar that runs under the bottom of it from PCI slot to HD cage or something, that is a huge combo :O

Cliff's Notes (at least view the images :p):
1) Scored free 8500LE; fan was physically missing
2) Had to remove the epoxied HSF from the GPU and cleaned it
3) Using super glue and Ceramique, mounted a northbridge heatsink
4) Profit

So, I went to a buddy's house to re-do his computer. That involved cleaning out his computer (dust+++), installing some new drives (160GB Seagate to compliment his dual Raptors), putting in a new CPU cooler (Vantec Aeroflow2), and reformat his computer (just bogged down). Instead of paying me cash, he gave me his old Radeon 8500LE (128-bit, 128MB Samsung 5ns TSOP, 40mm fan). The fan broke off the heatsink. It was enough of an incentive for him to upgrade to a 9800 Pro AIW. The 8500LE sat there unused for a long while.

Change the cooler, right? No big deal. I figured the 8500LE would get away with fanless operation, given enough surface area in the thermal solution. The only problem is that the 8500LE has no mounting holes around the GPU, and the cooling solution is epoxied onto the GPU itself. Let's just say it took a lot of fanless gaming in order to melt that epoxy. :D Used the flathead screwdriver and card to pry up the heatsink. Cleaned off the core (with dad's industrial strength mold cleaner), got myself a Zalman NB32J northbridge heatsink, Ceramique, and some Loctite super glue. Spread a nice layer of Ceramique (the heatspreader is convex) Put four small dabs of glue on the four corners of the GPU, and laid down the heatsink. Put a couple of dictionarys ontop to give the heatsink some pressure while it bonded.

It blocks the adjacent PCI slot. It should also cool better than the old stock HSF (even with this new fanless design), seeing how epoxy was only covering parts of the GPU heatspreader. The default clocks are 250/200; I've clocked the card up to 250/250 so far, with no artifacting.

Anyhow, here are the pics.

before1.jpg

before2.jpg

before3.jpg

before4.jpg

before5.jpg

before6.jpg

cleaned1.jpg

cleaned2.jpg

cleaned3.jpg

cleaned4.jpg

cleaned5.jpg

post1.jpg

post2.jpg

post3.jpg

post4.jpg

post5.jpg

post6.jpg

post7.jpg

post8.jpg

(this is not my system, it is another friend's; I was hoping it would be a temporary upgrade from his GF2 MX)
system1.jpg

Bumping a post from 3 months ago Holu... eh, I started it anyway so ty i guess lol

accelero014.jpg

accelero015.jpg

Accelero X1 on a 7800GT, in my old original LANBoy. I didn't get much more overclock with it on than with it off, but I did get a MUCH quieter and MUCH more effective cooling solution (dropped load temps 15-20C or more).

crappy shot of the AC cooler on my 7900gt
ACooler.jpg

today ill try and get some beter pics of it

before the 7900 i had AC cooling on my 9800pro

before that i had the stock cooler on my 9500 pro that i OCed the crap out of and zip tied a 90mm fan to, i was impressed too cooled that mofo nicely

CletisMckloskey47 said:
ghetto but kind of effective

took a pci bracket, screwed an old amd fan to it, and positioned it so it would blow on my 9800 pro
IM000039.jpg

Ghetto Genius :D

Picture 013resized.jpg

love the VGA cooler. it is very quiet, and it works great. it does make the vid card run cooler.

Picture 012resized.jpg

Nothing special really, just a water cooler 7900GT...... :eek:

80sc.jpg

103ey.jpg

And a few home made HS for the warmer chips.

188wh.jpg

221fl1.jpg

sorry for the crappy photo, but i just made the pics...and had to do it reallllllllyyyyy fast :p

So, I boosted up my V9999LE with a Zalman passive cooler and added a Zalman fan to it :)
It does, with a volt mod, 490mhz on the core and 1050 on the memory....at 62 celcius when stressed :) (both on gpu and memory)

1.jpg

Back