Post if you have 680i memory problems

laserdemon

[H]ard|Gawd
I am trying to get a feel on how wide this problem is. I have went through 3 memory kits in 6 months and 2 motherboards trying to fix the issue, now it looks like its a 680i issue with 4 sticks of memory at voltage 2.1 (default spec for the memory).

If you have had issues with this, will you please post your MB and Ram info so I can have a looksy? Also what kind of problem you had. What the hell, if you have a 680i and no problems, post too, that info is just a valuable to me.

My info
EVGA 680i A1
Corsair 8500c5d (two 2gb kits)

Yeah I've had memory issues on two different 680i boards. I'm actually going to RMA my 2nd board in for another one since I can only get 3 gb to work now.

2 gb PC2-8500 Corsair Dominators
2 gb PC2-8500 Crucial Ballistix

Both boards used 4gb for about 3 months and then I get memory issues. When I pull out any one of them the computer boots with no issues.

It's the board no doubt. I've use memory voltages from 2-2.2 volts and no dice

I'm regretting a little that I didn't upgrade to the evga 780 via the step up promotion they had going. I didn't have time to asseble the PC while being preoccupied with my course load until after the semester ended. I'm going to hold out until the new socket is released and then I'll probably step up.

I have an early XFX board with 4 1 gig sticks of OCZ PC8500 ram and I have had to rma both memory kits because a stick would fail at some point. If I reset my bios for whatever reason I have to remove all but 1 stick of ram to even post (to then go set the ram to 2.1v). I can't run the ram at anything higher than 800mhz or I crash in games and sometimes don't post at all when rebooting.

I will be demoting this box to my htpc next week as my parts come in for the new one.

I'm at work so I don't have all the exact part numbers. I got an evga 680i board about 13 months ago, it was their -A1 rev, I don't remember the rest of the part number. I bought 4x1G of OCZ 1066 memory. I think 1 stick of that was DOA. I installed the rest, and overvolted it to 2.3v, which was at the time what OCZ said that ram was good for. After about a month I had one stick die, and the OCZ guy told me that the most I could safely run that RAM at was 2.1v. They shortly thereafter updated the rating on the ram to say 2.1v on their website, so there were serious about that. After the replacement for that stick came I ran at 2.1v fine for the next 12 months, until about 2 weeks ago.

I started having video crashes. The nvkddm driver would crash and Vista would recover a few times, then reboot. The frequency of these increased over time. I updated the driver. I still got crashes, particularly when playing my 3d game. It got bad enough that it would crash when I first started the game. Then it was crashing even before I ran the game. I was able to use the computer in safe mode a couple nights (no games), and then I got a crash even in safe mode without the video driver, so I knew it was hardware (or heat), though I still suspected the 8800gtx at this point. I pulled the video card to put it in my old box to see if it had crashes there, then realized the old box was AGP and put it back in the box that was crashing. This time I couldn't even boot, I was getting C1 boot status (bad memory). I tried shuffling sticks, no good. So now it's dead, and I'm on here looking to decide what to replace it with and found your post. So there's my story. I guess from what I've read that I have a fried memory controller, or now-fatal problems due to insufficent heat sinking on the mosfets.

I dont know if I registered the evga board or not, if so its too late to register and get an RMA. Even if I did, I used an aftermarket cpu heat sink with a bracket that goes on the reverse side of the motherboard, and it came with some adhesive foam to stick it to the board, and I used that (wish I hadn't, bad mistake). So I can't get that bracket off without destroying the board (further), so I haven't even tried to call EVGA for a replacement. I figure my mistake with the heat sink cost me the price of the mobo, although I got a year out of it.

I'm leaning toards the 750i FTW board as a replacement, but can't find info on whether the heatsink bracket will work with it ok.

Q6600 G0 @ stock 2.4 Ghz
EVGA 680i A1
4 x 1 Gig Corsair DDR2-800 XMS2 @ 4-4-4-12 & 2.10 Volts

Worked fine. Never a problem.

Here are some threads that you might find helpful over at the EVGA forums:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=69652&mpage=1&key=&#69652
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=78381&mpage=1&key=&#78381
http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=61145&mpage=1&key=&#61145
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=87231&mpage=1&key=&#87231
http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62059

Dude, nice post, thx.

Looks like I may be doing some modding this weekend. Now one guys says that if you get the C1 error, your memory controller is already dead. But I removed the failing modules and now my system works fine. Thoughts?

I did also order me a 2 stick kit of OCZ 4gb reapers

Back