Post Blue Screen Issues

I posted this in the video card forums with no response... maybe someone might know something looking in this forum:

So I encountered a bit of a strange issue yesterday on my laptop. (Specs in the signature). I got a blue screen of death on Win 7 64-bit. (I thought they got rid of that btw?) But anyhow, it would blue screen on "Restart with Most Recent Working Configuration" and trying Safe Mode. Windows did it's little startup repair and that seemed to work. So after this I did a chkdsk on C:/ and rebooted. It came back up look 100% then I tried to open firefox. All I got was a blank black screen. The screen reacted as if the menu bar buttons (File, Edit) were still there, but all the contents were solid black and the webpage that loaded as well. The cursor reacted to where links would be but again all black. The only reason I could tell the buttons were reacting were I knew where they "should be" and clicked. A subwindow opened, which was also black. I proceeded to try IE, which was all white. At least with IE I had access to the address bar. But all the web pages were all white... same reactivity to the webpage and links from the cursor.

I tried Google Chrome which seemed to still be working fine and IE 64-bit also worked fine. I thought it a graphics issue so I disabled the graphics driver. This allowed Firefox to show up again, but didn't work for IE. Enabling the driver again fixed firefox, but shortly after it occurred again with the black screen and this workaround no longer worked. I tried installing the latest graphics drivers to no avail... any ideas? Appreciate it!

Oh also, latest versions of all browsers. Also tried reinstalling firefox which didn't help.

Have you checked the Event Viewer? Do you have display issues with any other applications?

Sound to me like the problem is with the onboard card itself.

No other applications found to have issues so far. I haven't checked event viewer. Not so great at using that.

It's not that difficult. It should have some information on that BSOD. You can also check for alerts with your video drivers and with Firefox and IE.

Have you tried running dxdiag?

EDIT: Have you checked the settings in Firefox to make sure that it's not set to display a blank page at startup? Are there any add-ons or extensions? Do you have antivirus or a third-party firewall running?

Last edited:
I'll get a dxdiag tonight. I can't access the buttons on firefox. I'll have to disable the drivers and get through that way. I'm currently using the Verde 296.10 - WHQL drivers from Nvidia's site. They are the latest.

I doubt I'll be able to get info from the event viewer since when I was trying to clean out the hard drive (along with a chkdsk) I wiped the error log and the BSOD hasn't happened again. Might be something in there from FF or IE though. I'll have to check.

I'm going to try and disable all firefox addons and i believe there is a way to put firefox in a "safe mode".

3rd party softwares, at least scanning ones are AVG, SpyBot and AdAware. No 3rd party firewalls. To clarify in firefox, the entire window is black, not buttons, no address bar, no webpage nothing. IE will have an address bar and a couple options but the webpage area is all white... I can type a webpage into IE but it acts like it's loading and it seems as though the page loads but it's just all white. Any site. And if I move my mouse around where the webpage would be, the cursor changes to the little finger icon to click on links and such as if the page is actually there. This sure is a strange one.

So I removed addons for firefox. Didn't help. I tried to do a dxdiag and it says it can't find dxdiagn.dll. Is there a way to reinstall DX?

Did that already. It said some errors were found but was unable to repair because they were in use.

What OS and what version of Direct X do you have?

But before that, did you try sfc /scannow in Safe Mode?

Last edited:
Yes just finished. Same results, it just complained about being in use. I have Win7 Ultimate 64bit. I would assume DX11 but I can't tell because dxdiag isn't working...

Ok tried and it said that a scan was already in progress and needed a reboot. Tried a reboot, same message.

Tried Tawnos's method and got the same reply. But I did notice something in the Recovery Tool. It says Operating System; D:\ Local disk. Well I know damn well that my OS in installed on the C: drive. Basically it's a dual partition single drive. C: houses the OS, D: is file storage. But I figured I'd thrown sfc /scannow /offdrive D: in and it almost looks like it is running. I got the message beginning scan, this may take awhile, but I know after this it is supposed to have a % complete. But it doesn't. So I don't know whether to leave it or assume it didn't work.

Ok I let it run and it said that there were corrupt files found that it was unable to fix. See some CBS.log file.

Tried Tawnos's method and got the same reply. But I did notice something in the Recovery Tool. It says Operating System; D:\ Local disk. Well I know damn well that my OS in installed on the C: drive. Basically it's a dual partition single drive. C: houses the OS, D: is file storage. But I figured I'd thrown sfc /scannow /offdrive D: in and it almost looks like it is running. I got the message beginning scan, this may take awhile, but I know after this it is supposed to have a % complete. But it doesn't. So I don't know whether to leave it or assume it didn't work.

If you were booted into the recovery environment, your OS would be on a different drive than you are used to.

You don't know as damn well as you think ;)

Leave it alone, this particular scannow may not show progress.

Well I know it is on C:\ naturally! Did not know it would read differently from recovery. But I honestly said hell with it and rebuilt the machine. Believe it or not that was easier... :p

Back