POST Beeps

Shockey

2[H]4U
Hello,

I'm trying to fix a computer. just got the new motherboard and i booted it up without a CPU and ram and i do not get any beeps. Is a CPU required in order to receive the beep codes? Google gave me mixed results. :confused:

This is really dependent on the board manufacture. What kind of computer is this and what is the model?

The board usually needs to have a CPU and RAM to boot. Higher-end boards these days may include a puny microcontroller to run a program that will let you flash your BIOS without a CPU installed, and some come with a Linux image and an ARM CPU that you can boot and bypass the x86 processor.

But for a full POST you need the CPU + one stick of ram.

Well, any HP should give you POST error beeps if you don't have the CPU or RAM installed. However, I work for HP and I have to fix stuff like this all the time and I can tell you that those post beeps are pretty arbitrary and don't tell you what's wrong half the time. They are by no means a diagnostic tool IMO, at least not on HPs.

Their are no beeps though upon booting it without a cpu. Don't have the means to reseat the heatsink to test with the cpu at this time.(No thermal grease)

All i wanting to test really is that the motherboard is functional as i just received it a few days ago ;) To make sure its not DOA

Their are no beeps though upon booting it without a cpu. Don't have the means to reseat the heatsink to test with the cpu at this time.(No thermal grease)

All i wanting to test really is that the motherboard is functional as i just received it a few days ago ;) To make sure its not DOA

I know, I'm just saying, it should be. Depending on which CPU it has you could start it up to see if it will POST without the HSF and then just shut it down again.

If you're concerned about it then I would suggest you wait for the thermal grease. I've done it with certain processors without damage but that's not a certainty.

Ok, its an athlon x2. I think i wait and play it safe ;)

Thank You for your help :)

As long as you tighten the HS down correctly, TIM can be applied when you get it.

As long as you tighten the HS down correctly, TIM can be applied when you get it.

Their a bump in the road. I noticed the heatsink screw into a bracket that is attached to the bottom side of the motherboard.(Old mobo) But it looks like it tightly on their. AM2 socket. I don't know how to get it off. :confused:

New motherboard i recieved doesn't have it on the back. So i can't properly mount the heatsink.

Anyone have experience with this or advice?

If the board is dead, break the board, not the bracket, lol. If the board isn't dead, be vewy vewy gentuhl. :p

you can probably find a backplate at sidewinder, frozen cpu, jab-tech, svc, performance pc's, or some other cooling website. ;) should be $10 or less. you could also ask in the freebie thread in the FS/T forum -- i'm sure people have dead boards layin around with backplates on 'em. i know i did, until i gave them all away. :p

Back