Possibly picking up 2x290x reference

inglewood78

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi everyone,

I swore off AMD after my horrible experience with the 7970 drivers at launch but now that prices have come down considerably, I have an opportunity to get a couple of 290x references for cheap.

I remember these cards having some noise and throttling issues. Does that still exist? Also, how are the crossfire drivers? Stuttering a thing of the past?

Thanks in advance. Wanted to get some current feedback before I commit.

The reference coolers may have this issue. I upgraded mine to the artic cooling accelero hybrid and have had great results.

Hi everyone,

I swore off AMD after my horrible experience with the 7970 drivers at launch but now that prices have come down considerably, I have an opportunity to get a couple of 290x references for cheap.

I remember these cards having some noise and throttling issues. Does that still exist? Also, how are the crossfire drivers? Stuttering a thing of the past?

Thanks in advance. Wanted to get some current feedback before I commit.

I not sure why you think a price reduction would change the noise issues with the reference coolers?:confused:..The reference cooled models are loud, and are best for using under water. If you don't want noise, then grab a pair of the excellent aftermarket cards out there..The GB Windforce, the Sapphire TriX/OC etc..They can be had new for under the $400 MSRP, even less used.

I not sure why you think a price reduction would change the noise issues with the reference coolers?:confused:..The reference cooled models are loud, and are best for using under water. If you don't want noise, then grab a pair of the excellent aftermarket cards out there..The GB Windforce, the Sapphire TriX/OC etc..They can be had new for under the $400 MSRP, even less used.

There have been instances in the past where software drivers caused the fans to spin excessively. Just wondering if this was the case with 290x

Back