• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Possibly looking for a new QUIET one

SoulWind

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
132
I may be looking for a new Power Supply, at present I have a SPI (Sparkle) 400 watt PS in here that I am very happy with, however the problem is that I'm very avid on a quiet computer, as such my HD's are Samsung Spinpoint (Basically quietest you can get, I know you can argue about the Seagate's) and the loudest fans in my case are 21 dba (Vantec Stealth), the problem I have noticed is that while my SPI ps is virtually silent (I'm yet to hear the fan in the PS rev all the way up) it does produce a fairly high pitched hum that is quite noticable when the case is that quiet, to combat it I've thrown a Coolermaster 25 dba fan in there to help cover it up, its almost unnoticable with that fan in, however I would like to be able to use my replacement (a SilenX 14dba fan) so I'm looking for something QUIET thats not to expensive, my price range would be around $65-100 US or so

One I've been looking at is the OCZ 450W ModStream PSU (OCZ45012U) which the sticky in this forum seems to like, I'm wondering how loud people have found that or if anyone can recommend any other decently priced QUIET powersupplies
 
My OCZ Powerstream 420W is super quiet. Both 80mm fans have got to be spinning at around 1000rpm... too bad there's no RPM monitoring cable.
 
Yeah silent...antec phantom's.

Really quiet...seasonic super tornado....bad name just ignore that part.
 
Well there is the Antec Phantom, but it's expensive and a bit of a pain for a normal system.

Other than that there's Seasonic Tornado or SuperSilencer, Zalman, Nexus and a few others. I would suggest www.silentpcreview.com as they have some accurate sound level and electrical load testing on a decent selection of power supplies. I believe they tested an OCZ recently there to.
 
I've noticed that most "silent" ps's are quite pricy, after checking out that silentpcreview weby there really doesnt seem to be a great consensus on a good QUIET ps however it does give me some ideas, one thing thats interesting is that that OCZ ps is quite loud according to that site (loud being relative, but louder then I like)
 
Seasonic Super Tornado or Super Silencer

the new S-12 should be good too, but the quieter ones are 430 watts and under.
 
30.25 @ newegg gets you a 300W sparkle ATX 2.0, with a 120mm temperature controleld fan.

I first thought mine was broken, the fan was hardly moving. Its the most quiet PSU ive ever heard, for under 50$.
 
Spectre said:
Seasonic Super Tornado.

Yeah, like that high pitched squeal coming from my Super Tornado 300 watt (3 weeks old and going back to new egg).
 
Antec NeoPower 480... not only is it a sexy charcoal gray, but it's VERY quiet. Practically inaudible.
 
Dr_John said:
PCP&C Silencer 470.

Ok I had a PC P&C Silencer 400 and it was a great PSU and not near the noise machine their regular ones are. But the noise level was absurd for something called 'Silencer'. Even a normal Antec smartpower was quieter than that psu. And compared to a quiet PSU such as Seasonic, Zalman etc it's not even in the same league unless they've made some absoloutely huge changes. It may be ok if you think Vantec Stealth fans are quiet at 12V, and it's not terribly noisy like a Delta or Tornado etc, but I really have to say my experience with PC P&C for quieting was not impressive from a sound level standpoint.
 
Toronaga said:
Yeah, like that high pitched squeal coming from my Super Tornado 300 watt (3 weeks old and going back to new egg).

For the record, after obsessive investigation, it turns out the high pitched squeal is not coming from the Seasonic. It is the godamned hard drive.
The thing must have been damaged when the old power supply failed.

I apologize to SEASONIC. They made a good unit. It is the hard drive.
 
I've also been looking at the SILVERSTONE powersupplies, they seem reasonably priced and claim to be quiet, dont know if anyone has given them a try
 
The zalman 400w is a nice psu. Not -too- pricey but its really quiet and works quite well.
 
Back
Top