• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Possibly getting a 4-BAY NAS - looking for input

Pythagorus

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 14, 2012
Messages
73
Hi Guys,

So I'm basically for an input here.
I'm planning on eventually getting a 4-BAY NAS (brand TBD, but probably a Synology or a QNAP)

This will be for a SOHO use.

Now for the HD, I was planning on going 2TB.
I know it wouldn't be write/read intensive and the most I'd be doing is maybe streaming off of it to a HTPC).
Mostly going to be used for file storage/backup.

Would I have to fear if I get 5400RPM drives instead of 7200RPM?
Is there a fear of getting "Green" drives and putting them in there?
I read that it wasn't recommended, but due to the HD prices, it makes quite a diff.

Thanks!

Note: I was looking at the QNAP TS-419P+ Turbo NAS.
Anything similar would be appreciated and reviews/comments on the above NAS is ALSO welcome! :D
 
I just got my first qnap and its pretty slick so far, for SOHO and Small biz its pretty good
 
I would recommend the Synology DS411+.
http://www.synology.com/us/products/DS411+/index.php

To answer your questions, 5400RPM is totally fine. 2TB are very dense and have very high throughput. 5400rpm is still above the NAS's read/write speed so you wouldn't see a difference.

I have the Synology DS1010+, 5 bay with same CPU as the 411+ and get 100+MB/s read/write in RAID 5 with 5400RPM drives.

WD green drives are perfectly fine for these NASs. They use linux MD software RAID and TLER isn't an issue at all.

Synology is doing great new things with their OS and the 411+ is an Intel CPU so it supports installing basically any software you want.

Check out Synology's new OS DSM 4.0:
http://www.synology.com/dsm/dsm4.0_beta.php?lang=us

411+ performance:
http://www.synology.com/us/products/4-5bay_perf.php

103MB/s write
107MB/s read

Smoking fast for a gigabit network.

Here is one of the cheaper listings I found.
http://www.eworldsale.com/synology-...e-server16-ghz-512mb-ddr3-usb_8641_68221.html

Here is also an example of some of the applications you can install in the Synology OS with the click of a button. Taken from my NAS:
http://i.imgur.com/u58ts.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gaoiN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/K7ukr.jpg

These of course are in addition to what Synology offers already built into the NAS OS.

You can demo their latest OS here:
http://www.synology.com/products/dsm_livedemo.php?lang=us
 
Last edited:
Amazing SirMaster!

Is this NAS close to EOL or ?

Cause sometimes, if it's near EOL, then you buy it and they stop supporting it after a year. Kinda sucks.
 
No, the 411+ was kind of replaced by the 411+ II which the only difference is a 1.8GHz Intel Atom instead of a 1.67Ghz Intel Atom, but IMO it's not worth the price increase. My 5-bay 1010+ has a 1.67Ghz Intel Atom and its very fast and I run many servers on it. These newish Intel Atoms are dual core with hyper-threading so they have 4 threads.

The new DSM 4.0 that will be out in a few weeks works all the way back to the 2008 models and that 411+ is a 2011 model So they are releasing DSM 4.0 for the 2008 models 5 years after they came out and they will probably still be supporting them next year with updates. There are no 2012 4-bay models yet.

Synology showed a new 8-bay DS1812+ at CES 2012 last month that will be coming out soon. It is essentially the same as my 1010+ except it has 8 bays instead of 5 and uses a 2.13Ghz Intel Atom.

They will support the Intel Atom models for a very, very long time. The only reason they dropped support for the 2007 models is because they use very old and slow ARM and PowerPC processors and only have 32-128mb of ram. The 2008 models have 512mb.

As long as they will be supporting that new 1812+ that isn't even out yet, they will still support the 411+ as its the same architecture and specs except just a bit lower clock speed.

The 411+ comes with 1GB which is the same that even their 12 bay 2011 model comes with and the same that the 8 bay 2012 model will come with.

The only ones that might be EOL in 2-3 years in the 4-bay range could be the 411j and 411 vanilla as they both use ARM processors and of course the 08, 09, and 2010 4 bay models.

http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/What_kind_of_CPU_does_my_NAS_have
 
Last edited:
Cool!

Yea they don't sell the DS411+ anymore... It's the DS411+II

They still do sell the DS411 however.
I live in Canada just ftw...

I was thinking of spending tops 450-475$, but the DS411+II is really expensive.
 
They synology / qnap stuff are good - but for the price (<300 bucks) the HP microserver is hard to beat. It should as fast / faster than DS411+II - has 4 hot swap bays + 1 eSata and one fixed stata bay. (5.25).

The tradeoff being you have to put your own NAS software on there though - typically a linux/solaris/freebsd based unit for software raid. FreeNAS would be a good distro - and can boot of the internal USB drive.
 
They still sell the 411+ at places that still have stock. But it may be too hard to find in Canada.
 
@ChrisBenn - yea, thats for sure a tradeoff... It's to be considered for sure.

@SirMaster - Definitely, if you find a place online in the states that do sell it, let me know, I might be able to do something about it!
 
Back
Top