• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

possibly adding a sub, plus wiring questions

Imitation

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 18, 2004
Messages
2,536
Hey guys, over xmas I upgraded from z-5500's to some sweet energy rc-10's and a vintage onkyo stereo receiver. I didn't have the cash for a sub but the tax return came in this week and we got more back than I expected so we decided to blow a bit of it. So I'm looking at 200 or less for a sub shipped. I was looking at some on amazon and saw some subs only have 1 set of speaker level inputs while others have a full set of in's and out's. Can I just run 1 speaker line thru a sub and it still sound good? From what I know a sub xover will filter out everything below the xover point and have the sub play that and then send everything else to speakers. Would I get goofy bass if the recording didn't have equal bass between the 2 channels? I guess the real question is, am I hurting the sound if I get a sub with only 1 set of speaker level terminals as opposed to a full stereo set?

Ex of a sub with only a single set, out of the price range but a good example:
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-ESW-V8-Subwoofer-Single-Black/dp/B00120085Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269605293&sr=8-3

Also, anyone got any good suggestions for subs <200, preferably not a huge one. I'm gonna be about 70% music/30%games so I'm looking for a musical sub first, I'm sure about any sub will play games just fine. I was looking at 8" and 10" subs, like the dayton 10" or the BIC 10", anyone got any other suggestions that won't break the bank but also fit my other needs? Thanks!
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What is your current wiring setup? Digital coax/optical to your receiver or are you running a line out to your receiver? If you're running a line out to your receiver then I suggest using a splitter on the line out and running a line directly to the the sub's line in. This is preferable to using a speaker in and then powering one of your speakers from the sub.

As far as which sub to get, I'd say either the Dayton or Bic 8" or 10" models would fit the bill. You won't really find anything that different between models at that size and price range.
 
Actually I'm running both my desktop and my laptop into the receiver. The receiver is an older one and only takes analog in, so i've got 2 1/8 to rca i run from each pc to the receiver. Can I use a splitter backwards to combine the inputs and run it thru the sub first and then to the receiver? That might make things easier if that's possible.
 
I don't know, for the $200 range that Energy looks pretty nice. The others I know are Dayton and BIC and you have already mentioned them. I like the BIC H100 and it is similarly priced. Not sure which would be better. Nothing to add except wasting a post I guess. :p
 
Yeah i'm leaning toward those models so far, but I'm really not sure about the wiring. Can i combine to inputs to go into the sub then 1 to the receiver? Or is running the line level from the receiver thru the sub the better option?
 
Back
Top