Possible to use Static IP for work network, DCHP for anywhere else?

thehum

Weaksauce
I have a Win7 laptop that needs to use a static IP to access a database at work (using ethernet). However, when I plug in anywhere outside the network I have to change adapter settings to use DHCP, and then static when I come back to work. At work, we have DHCP assigning IPs otherwise.

Is there a way to set Windows to do this automatically? By setting a static IP when connected to the work network (by subnet maybe?) and then use DCHP when not connected to our network?

-Greg

I believe you can use the Alternate Configuration feature in Adapter Properties-> Iinternet Protocol v4 Properties->Alternate Configuration Tab. Change to user configured and set your static info on the Alternate Configuration tab, leave General as DHCP. This should work if there is no DHCP on your DB network. If there is DHCP on your DB network, the only way I know of is to write short netconfig bat files.

DHCP reservations is the proper way to do this. But there is a little utility that you can use to make it a bit easier if they aren't going to do that.

http://www.netsetman.com/index.php?s=nsm

You can create profiles for your NICs and just click to activate them and tailor what you need.

Back