Possible to switch two CPU's between two running computers?

Defc0n 6

Gawd
Basically, I am wondering if it is possible to switch the CPU's of two different computers? Is this possible? Would I get any errors/issues? One of the computers is running, the other has never even posted. Thanks in advance.
-Defc0n 6

it depends on what kind of CPUs they are, and what kind of motherboards they are.

if they are both the same kind of CPU (for example both pentium 4's with 533mhz fsb) and both motheboards support the 533 mhz fsb then you can swap them out for eachother

If you're talking about swapping a Celeron for a P4 or faster for slower or whatever, yea, no prob.

If you're talking about swapping while the system is running...

No.

One is a ASUS P4P800 Deluxe, and the other is a ASUS P4P800SE 865PE/ICH5 RET. The P4P800 Deluxe currently has a Intel 2.8C. The other one, has a Intel 3.0E. The 3.0E has never techinally booted. I want to place the 3.0E into the P4P800 Deluxe, and the 2.8C into the P4P800SE :confused:

0ldman said:

No.

Haha, got a good laugh out of that.....thx. I'm assuming he wouldn't have been asking about THAT.....but w/e, good for a few laughs anyways. :p

Defc0n 6, as long as the Asus board has been deemed "prescott ready" you should be fine, do a little double checking on the compatibility of the two....but in terms of the procedure you'd be fine.

I've been scared by a few people asking things like that lately...

Customers bringing in the monitor only so I can do a spyware scan...

:confused:

0ldman said:
I've been scared by a few people asking things like that lately...

Customers bringing in the monitor only so I can do a spyware scan...

:confused:

Hahahaahhahahahaaha........lol.......rofl.....

oh my god that's funny shit, I have no idea what I'd say if someone did that with me. :p

0ldman said:
If you're talking about swapping a Celeron for a P4 or faster for slower or whatever, yea, no prob.

No.

Short of owning a Alpha GS160 or higher that can hot swap CPU's

He's right no...

P.S. Alpha's run atleast a few 100K's

There were plenty of cheaper Alphas, like the Multia & a lot of the workstations/small servers can be found used for cheap. Doubt any of them have hot-swap CPUs, tho.

My (as in, somebody pays me to work on it) Sun E4500 has 14 hot-swap CPUs. Unfortunately, they're all the buggy UltaSparc chips that like to crash the system every 6mo +(

0ldman said:

No.
lol, was not asking that. anyway, it all went good. thanks.

Back