Possible to switch between onboard video and GPU

jwimsett

Gawd
Joined
Jul 16, 2012
Messages
638
Something similar to Optimus Technology, but for a desktop?

I'm thinking about converting my gaming rig into a HTPC. I'd like to use my 7880 when playing intense games, but don't need that power to stream video.

Is there any way to switch between on-board and GPU when necessary?
 
It can be done with this, but its not entirely stable. ~15W extra isn't worth the hassle of dealing with Virtu MVP's glitchiness.

If you are concerned with 10 - 20 extra watts of power draw you could hook up 2 HDMI cables and switch inputs on your TV/receiver depending on what you're doing.
 
Last edited:
If you are concerned with 10 - 20 extra watts of power draw you could hook up 2 HDMI cables and switch inputs on your TV/receiver depending on what you're doing. The 780 will power down to less than 10W if you switch to another input.
Could I put one HDMI on the GPU and one on the MB HDMI and switch between?
 
That's right, 1 cable to the MB HDMI and the other to the 780. You also need to switch your main display and default sound card (if you're doing HDMI audio) so its a bit of a pain if you're switching back and forth a lot.

I'm not sure if that last sentence about power consumption going lower when the input is switched was correct. I was basing that off of AMD's ULPS but I couldn't see anything about the 780 doing the same.
 
Back
Top