possible to run more than 2 monitors...

XeRo_Dark

Gawd
hey is it possible to run more than 2 monitors with a geforce 6800ultra sli setup?
for instance 3 monitors or 4

I heard from my maximumpc magazine you can run 4 with SLI cards.

Short answer: yes, yes you can. It acts the same as running two video cards whether it's two PCI-E cards or 2 PCI cards.

People have been doing this sort of thing for a while, it's really not a new technology.

When in Multi-GPU mode, SLI currently supports one monitor. When in Single-GPU mode, users have the ability to use up to 4 monitors

You could get around that by using the forceware drivers to make a custom 3840x1024 resolution then span 3 monitors to still gain SLI performance in multiple monitors though?

I've always wanetd to test 3 monitor gaming out but have always been short a few thousand dollars :)

Since you only have one working output on the cards, you cant.

And unless you want to reboot after each gaming session you have to put a third pci card in there for multi monitor support

Spank said:
When in Multi-GPU mode, SLI currently supports one monitor. When in Single-GPU mode, users have the ability to use up to 4 monitors

are the modes a hardware thing or a software thing

andrew911tt said:
are the modes a hardware thing or a software thing

For most boards it's both.
Usually you have to change some sort of card etc (like on MSI boards), or change arround jumper blocks (like on DFi boards) on the motherboard to enable SLi capeability. Then you also have to enable SLi with'n the drivers.

However there are several seperate companies working on "digital sli" one that does not need a physical hardware change, but could perhaps be changed in the bios or similar.

Back