Possible to reinstall pre-installed software on HP Laptop?

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
I just bought my wife a new HP laptop. It came with several applications, some trial, and some full version that she would like reinstalled. I say reinstalled, because I was planning on wiping the drive clean and installing Vista fresh. I'm used to Dells that come with these apps on disc. However, this HP only came with a recovery partition. I burned the recovery discs, but they only contain parts of the full image, same as the actual recovery partition. Has anyone encountered this before, and is there a way to obtain these apps from HP?

Could be a folder in the root directory called APPS or something similar that will have all the installers. I recently did work on a nearly brand new HP (was purchased in May) and I found such a folder on the drive when I first looked it over.

Made the restore media (3 DVDs), then saved that APPS folder off to another drive (it was over 7GB and I wasn't going to waste a dual layer for that) then did the clean install, restored the folder, asked the client what they wanted specifically that came pre-installed, installed only those, and that was it.

Someplace on the untouched drive should be a folder with the installers, it's pretty common for HP to do that but not other OEMs for some reason. But HP is fairly consistent with that; the backup installers for most everything should be in that folder, someplace.

Back