Possible to "manually" search a running program's memory?

Coldblackice

[H]ard|Gawd
Would it be possible to manually search through a running/active program's memory (in Windows 7)?

Windows just notified me that Firefox "has stopped working" and is asking me to close or debug. I had a number of tabs and important posts I was working on that I'm now about to lose.

Because Firefox's window is now grayed out (with the Close vs Debug option box), I'm wondering if I could manually search through its still-active memory to get the titles/URLs of tabs I had open, possibly even text I was posting. Firefox.exe is still running -- I have yet to click "Close program" or "Debug".

Is there any third-party utility that could accomplish this? Or, might this be doable via the "Debug" option?

If the process is still running you could try to attach a debugger to it and poke around. Cheatengine would probably have the shortest learning curve of free debuggers that I know of. OllyDbg is shareware, but I don't know of any restrictions it places on you. Visual Studio has a debugger, but I have never used it.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/dd996900.aspx

SysInternals ProcDump can dump out the memory used by a running process or application to a file. Warning: the dump file will probably be gigantic.

Run it with the -ma parameter to do a full dump. For example, from the command line type: procdump -ma firefox

Who knows what data structures FireFox uses in memory to store tabs, and where information for those tabs are stored. I don't doubt you could extract text you typed or url names, but it's probably going to be slow to search the dump file.

If the process is still running you could try to attach a debugger to it and poke around. Cheatengine would probably have the shortest learning curve of free debuggers that I know of. OllyDbg is shareware, but I don't know of any restrictions it places on you. Visual Studio has a debugger, but I have never used it.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/dd996900.aspx

SysInternals ProcDump can dump out the memory used by a running process or application to a file. Warning: the dump file will probably be gigantic.

Run it with the -ma parameter to do a full dump. For example, from the command line type: procdump -ma firefox

Who knows what data structures FireFox uses in memory to store tabs, and where information for those tabs are stored. I don't doubt you could extract text you typed or url names, but it's probably going to be slow to search the dump file.

There are memory editors for cheating games as Sgraffite suggested:
http://www.cheatengine.org/

Thanks all for the suggestions. Using CheatEngine works great (I also made a full dump using ProcDump, too).

Searching through the memory, I've found tabs/URLs that I was on when the crash happened. However, like pxc mentioned, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason where they're located.

Is there anywhere I could find the pattern/data structures where active tab URLs are stored? I realize I may just have to call this a loss and move on.

Can't you just go to History > Restore Previous Session after you restart firefox?

Chances are firefox will reload your tabs automatically anyway, text entries might be lost though.

Searching through the memory, I've found tabs/URLs that I was on when the crash happened. However, like pxc mentioned, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason where they're located.

You're probably looking at heap-allocated memory, in which case it would naturally be fairly randomly located.

There is one other way to restore tabs and session.

For Firefox, go to this directory:
Code:
C:\Users\{USER NAME}\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\{RANDOM LETTERS}.default

Make a backup of these two files in another location:
Code:
sessionstore.bak

sessionstore.js

Now, before continuing, be sure that Firefox is fully closed so check Task Manager first.

Delete "sessionstore.js" and rename "sessionstore.bak" to the previous file you deleted.
(e.g.- sessionstore.js)

To save Firefox sessions, I recommend this add-on: Session Manager.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/session-manager/

(In Chrome, I recommend Session Buddy.)

With Session Manager, you can also have an auto-saving session profile, and you can restore a previous session if Firefox crashes.

As for form data, unfortunately you need to find some way to read the memory or variable data, or something. There is an easier way: a couple of add-ons for Firefox works.

Form History Control:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/form-history-control/

Lazarus Form Recovery:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/lazarus-form-recovery/

Form Saver MOD:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/form-saver-mod/

Thanks for the suggestions. I already use (and love) Session Manager + Lazarus. Easily two of my favorite extensions. However, one "inconvenient" point I didn't mention was that, although I had multiple browser windows open and knew I'd be able to restore those just fine, it was the one "Private Browsing" window open that I was stressing about.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... -- what ever was I doing in a Private Browsing window? :) -- I opened it to log into a second Gmail account (concurrently) with my main email, bypassing a same-browser cookie clashing. And then as goes in the life of a tab-junkie, I soon forgot it was a private and just kept working inside it concurrently.

Literally 20 minutes before it crashed, I even had the thought "Ah, better transfer these tabs out in case this crashes..." And whaddya know -- prophecy, lol.

Anyway, I ended up doing a full dump just in case, and then half looking through my router's IP log + half shrugging it off and moving on. Lesson learned. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestions. I already use (and love) Session Manager + Lazarus. Easily two of my favorite extensions. However, one "inconvenient" point I didn't mention was that, although I had multiple browser windows open and knew I'd be able to restore those just fine, it was the one "Private Browsing" window open that I was stressing about.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... -- what ever was I doing in a Private Browsing window? :) -- I opened it to log into a second Gmail account (concurrently) with my main email, bypassing a same-browser cookie clashing. And then as goes in the life of a tab-junkie, I soon forgot it was a private and just kept working inside it concurrently.

Literally 20 minutes before it crashed, I even had the thought "Ah, better transfer these tabs out in case this crashes..." And whaddya know -- prophecy, lol.

Anyway, I ended up doing a full dump just in case, and then half looking through my router's IP log + half shrugging it off and moving on. Lesson learned. Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Ah, you were in Private Browsing mode.

I remember making a similar mistake and the browser crashing on me. Luckily for Chrome, you can enable an extension to work in Incognito Mode, so that helps a lot there. I don't see a similar option for Firefox extensions, unfortunately.

Back