Possible to lock a PII 720 down to 2 cores for a better OC?

Hard and Confused

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone know if the Phenom II 720 can have yet another core disabled do drop the TDP and hopefully allow a btter OC on the 2 remaining cores? It seems if I could lock down a 2nd core that I should have a low enough TDP with enough of a reduction in heat to easily break 4ghz+ if I only have 2 cores to contend with.

I have a DFI LanParty DK 790GX-M2RS and plan to get a PII 720 in 2 weeks and am just trying to get as much info as I can.

I believe you can do that with the AMD Overdrive utility, assuming your board works with it.

If you do that you could probably get away with lower voltage but I don't think the you could clock it much higher.

you wont get better overclocking by locking the cores down to 2 cores.. maybe 200 more mhz.. not worth it overall with 2 cores at say 4ghz when you can have 3 cores at 3.6ghz.. do the math.. especially with multi-core applications/games..

and as to date ive yet to see a chip locked to 1 core overclock any better then a chip using 3 cores.. look at most of the record overclocks for the phenom II.. they are overclocking all 4 cores(955BE)..

Back