Possible to install W7 Ultimate through a Pro disc image?

TheNuker

Limp Gawd
So, back in October I've acquired a license for Windows 7 Pro x64 through my local university's MSDNAA program and I've been using it ever since on my desktop. Last week, however, they've made available due to too much demand from students and teachers a version of Win7 Ultimate x64, mostly because of bitlocker support due to everyone carrying their laptops around with important stuff, so I decided to get my license as well to use on my lappy.

The question I ask now is: is there any way to install the ultimate version using the iso image I downloaded for windows 7 pro? Because when I installed it I wasn't given an option to chose what version I wanted, it defaulted to Professional. I remember back when I installed my retail version of Vista, I was given the option to pick what version I wanted to install, because all of them are included on the same dvd.

The reason I'm asking this is because it would save me the time of re-downloading a nearly 4gb iso image, which is the same size for both Pro and Ultimate, which makes me believe the contents of Ultimate are already included on my Professional disc.

Anyone?

you have to rip the disc to the PC and delete the ei.cfg file and then burn to a disc or use a USB thumb drive. Thumb drive allows for much faster install.
this will bring up a menu during install to choose what version you want to install.

So, back in October I've acquired a license for Windows 7 Pro x64 through my local university's MSDNAA program and I've been using it ever since on my desktop. Last week, however, they've made available due to too much demand from students and teachers a version of Win7 Ultimate x64, mostly because of bitlocker support due to everyone carrying their laptops around with important stuff, so I decided to get my license as well to use on my lappy.

The question I ask now is: is there any way to install the ultimate version using the iso image I downloaded for windows 7 pro? Because when I installed it I wasn't given an option to chose what version I wanted, it defaulted to Professional. I remember back when I installed my retail version of Vista, I was given the option to pick what version I wanted to install, because all of them are included on the same dvd.

The reason I'm asking this is because it would save me the time of re-downloading a nearly 4gb iso image, which is the same size for both Pro and Ultimate, which makes me believe the contents of Ultimate are already included on my Professional disc.

Anyone?

YES.

The long way: http://windows7center.com/news/how-to-install-any-version-or-sku-of-windows-7/

The lazy way:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...ction-on-install-with-ei-cfg-removal-utility/

Alternatively, just install Pro without a Serial and use Anytime Upgrade to turn on the Ultimate features and enter your serial then.

you have to rip the disc to the PC and delete the ei.cfg file and then burn to a disc or use a USB thumb drive. Thumb drive allows for much faster install.
this will bring up a menu during install to choose what version you want to install.

Thank you, that did it.

Alternatively, just install Pro without a Serial and use Anytime Upgrade to turn on the Ultimate features and enter your serial then.

That would also work, yes. But since I want to clean install due to other reasons, it wouldn't benefit me as much.

Back