Possible to get DSL without paying for landline?

Aslander

Limp Gawd
I was wondering if it is possible to convince an ISP to give you DSL service without paying for a landline with them. We get a dialtone but no service since we don't pay for the landline. I would think they would do that--seems stupid to pay for a landline when we have cellphones for that purpose.

Yup, it's called 'Dry-loop' DSL, ask your provider if they can offer it.

Im with Bellsouth at the moment, I called them about a year ago to see if I could cancel my landline and they said no. I'll try calling them back and threatening to cancel all my services with them, so maybe they won't be willing to risk losing 125 bucks a month.

Bellsouth may not offer that at all, I know some providers do and some don't, and some do in some markets while they won't do it in others. Up here, you can get a drypair through Speakeasy or Verizon, you just pay $5 extra for Verizon's per month (compared to regular DSL pricing), whereas Speakeasy's is around $100 a month.

You'll have to check with the ISP. I know my local cable company offers internet service even if you do not pay for cable TV.

Some do...it's also called "naked DSL"

Well..first..you're always going to have a line going to your house. However..I think what you mean is that you don't have to have phone service with a local number.

However..you still end up paying for a line....it's not much cheaper than if you had a regular local phone line and had DSL. One way or another..you're still paying for a line to be run to your house.

Back