• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Possible to cool this much in 1 loop?

computerpro3

LightningRod
Joined
Mar 29, 2003
Messages
8,702
Hello,

My system is as follows:

Amd CABNE Opteron 146 @ 3.1ghz XP-120/Panaflo L1A
Chilly1 Modified Prometia Mach 1 -59C idle (in the shop)
DFI SLI-D
2GB Mushkin Redline @ 260mhz 2-2-2-5 3.5v
2x EVGA 7800GTX ACS3 Cooling 490/1300
Audigy Platinum with Dantax Vision Two's
Custom Pc Power and Cooling 510 Deluxe SLI / Coolermaster ATC 101b

I think we all know that the 7800gtx's are hot little mofos, and my opteron is the cabne stepping, which means it loads in the 60's on air. ITs amazingly hot. When I get my phase change back, I'm thinking of selling it which will give me about $400 to drop on watercooling stuff. SO in the loop I need to have 2x 7800GTX's (which will be upgraded to 512mb ones in December) and my opteron, shooting for 3.2ghz.

Here's the thing, no way in hell am I giving up my Coolermaster ATC-101b. On the plus side, it can fit a 2x 120mm rad on the top easily, and it does have 5x 5.25 bays for a res and stuff like that.

Basically, is it possible to cool that much heat with one 2x 120mm rad? If so, what is the best performing setup from $400-500 that will cool my system? REmember, I'm going for max overclock, and there may end up being volt mods on the video cards.

Thanks.
 
Well the one thing that you basically have no choice on if you want max performance is the CPU waterblock....Swiftech Storm all the way. Unless you can find a G5 for sale somewhere, but that would probably break your budget. For the pump I would get the Laing D5 since it is the most powerful small pump you can get.

Radiator I would go for the Thermochill PA120.2, it seems to be the best radiator out there. Since you are going for max performance, and the radiator is what dissipates the heat from the loop you dont want to scrimp there.

The GPU cooling you have a lot of leeway, I would stick to a GPU only cooler and use ram sinks on the ram. You can pretty much chose between the DD block, the Dtek block, or the Swiftech block (mcw55). All will perform about the same.
 
3/8 tubing alright? I've watercooled before btw, just been out of the loop since the 2.4c heyday. phase change took over, but now I just want something that doesnt take 10min to warm up :p
 
First of all, you aren't going to be able to keep that CABNE in the loop with what you want so you should just sell it to me. :)

Seriously though. The PA120.2 is an awesome rad, no doubt. I've got one. However, the HE120.2 can outperform the PA120.2 if you use hovercraft level fans and such.

I don't suggest you do use those type fans and because of that I don't suggest you go for the HE120.2. I simply wanted to mention that the PA120.2 is meant for optimal performance with less than hovercraft type fans (less than 100 CFM I think).

It sounds like want you want is _not_ max overclock. What you are going for is max overclock using reasonable components. (EDIT: and within your budget, max overclock would dictate 2 loops at least).

With that in mind, I would suggest you get the Swifty APEX kit (that comes with a Storm)and add a few GPU blocks like the MCP55 or Maze4 with 1/2" barbs and see how that works for you. Purchased in kit form, if you can find it, you will basically save the price of the Swifty rad essentially getting it for free. You should probably be able to get the APEX and 2 GPU's for either $350 or $300.

See how that works for you and if that don't cut it, you still have $150 to $200 to play with to improve things.

Just MHO.

Oh, and if you decide to go this route, PM me about my APEX parts. I have basically the whole kit that has never been used. I don't know that I'll sell it but if I did decide to, I'd be willing to take a loss on what I paid. This has nothing to do with my recommendation though. I don't _need_ to sell what I have, I simply _might_ sell it.

EDIT2: The basic answer to your question is, Yes. IMO, you can cool all that you want with only a 120 x 2
 
imo, whats wrong with a 10 minute wait, anyhow my 2x120mm heater core takes care of my 6800gt@ultra voltage and did take care of my 1.55v 4 ghz prescott which consumed about 200 watts of power(measured total power consumption before and after prescott, 440 watts vs 230 watts)

how'd you end up with lightningrod as a title...kinda odd title
 
Back
Top