Possible to Convert DVI to VGA?

RobDMB

Weaksauce
I have a cable box that has a dvi output for outputting hdtv signals for an hdtv. I dont have an hdtv but I was wondering if I could use the dvi output to connect to a vga monitor that I have. I was wondering if this kind of signal conversion is possible. I don't want to spend the money on an expensive transcoder, but if there is a cheap adapter I can buy I would be interested. -Rob

I just looked into that. I think the problem may be that the cable box outputs dvi-d and I don't think those adapters work with dvi-d.

RobDMB said:
I have a cable box that has a dvi output for outputting hdtv signals for an hdtv. I dont have an hdtv but I was wondering if I could use the dvi output to connect to a vga monitor that I have. I was wondering if this kind of signal conversion is possible. I don't want to spend the money on an expensive transcoder, but if there is a cheap adapter I can buy I would be interested. -Rob
STB's with DVI output have been HDCP enabled for a few years now. Unless you're using a HDCP enabled video card + monitor + recent MS Vista beta you'll get nothing but a black screen.

actually then all he needs is a HDCP enabled monitor because he wants to hook up the box directly to the monitor without the computer right?
But, right now he has a non HDTV TV. Thus it probably does not have HDCP. so..he does not need a HDCP enabled monitor...if it works with a regular tv

My understanding of HDCP (which is very limited, so bear with me) is that it follows the signal.. It will not output a HD signal to any device that's not HDCP-enabled. There are provisions within the HDCP spec to output a reduced resolution signal to non-HDCP-enabled devices. So while he might get a signal to his monitor, it will not be HD.

If any/all of that is wrong someone please chime in.

Does the HDCP come in to play only for pay channels, or would it block HD of broadcast stations as well?

Frank DC said:
My understanding of HDCP (which is very limited, so bear with me) is that it follows the signal.. It will not output a HD signal to any device that's not HDCP-enabled. There are provisions within the HDCP spec to output a reduced resolution signal to non-HDCP-enabled devices. So while he might get a signal to his monitor, it will not be HD.

If any/all of that is wrong someone please chime in.
Well...right now..RobMB has his box hooked up to a non-HD tv. if the tv is non-hd, i assume it does not support HDCP. However, he still is able to watch it. So..it would also work with the monitor!

Actually, what do you have your cable box hooked up to right now?

Back