Possible Quake 4 crash fix!

ScourggeFX

Gawd
From aggybong on www.ravenforums.com

After upgrading my Audigy 1 to an X-Fi, I got the dreaded crash problem. Since Quake 4 worked before the upgrade, I knew it was sound card related. This is what worked for me after a little research and guess work:

1. Use Windows File Search and look for OpenAL32.dll
It should pop up in C:\WINDOWS\System32\, or where ever Windows is installed (C:\WINNT\System32\, etc)

2. Rename it to something like OenAL32.123

3. Check to see if Quake 4 loads.
If it does, if you go to the sound menu, you will see that Q4 says your sound card doesn't support OpenAL, yet regular sound will work fine.
If it doesn't, the crashing isn't related to OpenAL, and I have no advice, sorry Sad

4. If you want OpenAL support (and you probably do), go and delete the OpenAL32.dll (or whatever you renamed it to) file in the C:\Windows\System32\ directory, and reinstall the newest sound card drivers from Creative Labs site. If you have an Audigy line sound card, the beta drivers are probably your best bet.

I don't know why this is a problem, but the only thing that makes sense is that when I uninstalled my Audigy and used Driver Cleaner, OpenAL32.dll was left behind. Since I was using the newest beta drivers, the Audigy OpenAL32.dll was newer than what the X-Fi drivers had, so I assume the installer thought it was best to leave it alone (without telling me).

Hopefully this helps SOMEBODY, because I couldn't find any threads on the web that had a fix for this issue other than disabling sound.

Much props to aggybong. It worked for me!

Back