• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Possible PSU defect on new build?

Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Messages
12
I just put together my new PC. Asus M488T-M MB, 4 GB Patriot mdem, Sapphire Vapor X 5770, 1 TB samsung HD, CD/DVD burner, CoolerMaster 460W PS. Nothing comes on when I push the poser button but the "Standby Power" LED on the MB lights up. The power supply's fan doesn't spin up, as do no case fans or the video card fan. I've double checked all the connections. Bad PS? If so, why does the LED light up? Any suggestions?
 
The power supply may be too weak or have a problem, yes. That has less power on the 12V rail than an Earthwatts 380 and you have a pretty powerful video card there.

What cpu do you have? If you have a quad, you might just need more power to make it all run.

Also double check the power button connection again to make sure you didn't put it on the wrong pins on the motherboard. It is an easy mistake to make.
 
Yes, I double-checked the power button connections and they were right. So maybe I need 600W? But why doesn't the fan on the PS spin up? Phenom II X2 555 BE by the way - still with 2 cores as I haven't been able to start the thing.
 
It would be ideal if you could at least try another power supply out, even for a few minutes just to help isolate the problem. Do you have another computer you could pull a power supply from, or a friend who could let you try their power supply?
 
I am just going to have to get another PS. 600 or 750 I think, I can't think of what else to do.
 
You could test your power supply,look up the pin out to see if that power supply comes on by it self.
 
Your psu provides more than enough power.

try this test mentioned above. Connect the green to black and then turn on to see if the psu fan spins up or not.

atx-power-bypass.jpg
 
Back
Top