• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Possible powersupply issue?

c2rex

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 26, 2003
Messages
76
t8lts5.jpg


I've pieced together a computer from some leftover hardware. I think I'm having powersupply issues. I've attached an image from HWmonitor.

Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries to get the computer to boot. Most of the time it seems to run ok. The powersupply seems to be putting out more heat than I expected.

The system is as follows: Powersupply is a Coolmax AP-450X(CA-400), Biostar P4M80-M4, Intel P4 3.0gb, unknown heatsink (70mm fan wasn't working, swapped out with a 80mm case fan wiretied for now - seems to be working). 512mb of DDR, a WD black Caviar SATA hard drive, unknown DVD RW. I currently have a Geforce 4 (AGP) but would like to put something a little faster in it. Running XP. 1 120mm fan for exhaust.

Do the numbers in the pic indicate an issue with the powersupply? Also, what temps should I be concerned with?
 
Do the numbers in the pic indicate an issue with the powersupply?

No. Software sensors are not accurate and often not calibrated for every single motherboard revision. Use a digital voltmeter for accurate readings.
 
Instead of putting a new AGP card in, you really should consider replacing all your hardware. Including your PSU, which is old, outdated, and likely a piece of crap.
 
Coolmax PSUs are friggan GARBAGE. It wouldn't suprise me if that 12v reading is infact accurate.

Get a voltmeter and check.
 
Yeah. From what I found online, it's some ancient ATX 1.x standard PSU (heavy on the 5V+3,3V, weak on 12V) and you shouldn't use it for anything but a doorstop. Don't put anything that draws more power into the rig, the PSU is probably at its limits as it is.
 
Agree on coolmax PSUs being garbage. Mine fried 2 boards before I figured out the PSU was the culprit.
 
Back
Top