Possible permission issue between PC and WHS 2011

dar124

[H]ard|Gawd
I had also considered posting this in the Home Theatre area, but I'm thinking here in the Networking forum is more appropriate.

Quick summary: I recently put together a new desktop PC (in my signature). I use this PC (amongst other things) for downloading media and moving it to my WHS 2011 server to then access the files on my HTPC and laptop. I did have some issues with the permissions between this PC & WHS when I first set things up. But I was using both my previous desktop PC and this new one at the same time and they both had the name "desktop" on WHS. Since then I've switched the name and the log on name on WHS for my new PC and also removed the old desktop PC as a user from WHS. This seemed to correct those inital permission issues. I'm now able to cut & paste, open, edit & save, and delete files directly from the server folders without any problems.

The current problem that I'm having: I use Media Center Master to add the image and info files to the folder and then transfer that folder down to my server. But I've been having problems with the files being transferred. The files get scanned and a folder is created but then the folder is just left in the scan folder, it's never moved to the server. I posted a question on the Media Center Master forums about this and am still waiting to hear back on my most recent post, but it seems like they're saying there is a permission issue between my PC and WHS. I'm pretty sure that whatever issue there was is taken care of, because I can navigate to the server folders from my PC and cut & paste, open, edit & save, and delete files etc. So I'm not sure why MCM is having issues moving media to the server?? From everything I can see my desktop PC should have the access it needs to add files to the server. Is there somewhere else that I need to add access?? This has me a bit stumped. Working with WHS has always been fairly straighforward, so I'm not really sure why this is giving me issues here. Hopefully someone here can give me some guidance.

Here's a screen shot of my desktop PC (dar125) properties for the server folders. This all seems correct??

WHS%2Berror5.jpg

Here's a screen shot of MCM as its attempting to move media to the server.

MCM1.jpg

Last edited:
So I was able to get things straightened out. When I was adding my scan folders to MCM, I was using the login for my previous PC (dar124). So apparently that would let MCM view all the files on the server, but when the new PC (dar125) tried to move files to them, it didnt have permission!!

Damn, I made that more difficult than it needed to be. But I'm happy, 3 movies and 6 TV episodes are transferring as I type!!!

Back