Possible Overheating Issue

Greg85

n00b
Been a while since i've posted anything, but here is my issue. I am using this case
GM5424_MV.jpg

with my Main Rig, when I start playing Oblivion everything seems fine for 10 minutes then my computer completely shuts off. I think its my graphics card. The cpu temps hover around 40c when idle and when im in game (Oblivion) temp go to around 58c. I haven't been able to monitor the gpu temps. Do you guys think it the size of the case? Or something else?

What Power supply would you reccomend for a broke person such as myself, for this setup

I was having a similar issue with my 4850. Sometimes the system would shut off, sometimes I would just lose output to monitor while the rest of the system works, then eventually shuts down / restarts / crashes. The driver was not increasing the fan speed with the temps, and was causing the card to go into a protection mode I am assuming. Installing Catalyst Control Center and setting fan speed to manual at least 50% in W7 and 100% in games solved the problem. Unfortunately the card sounds like a blow dryer at 100% :(

I was having a similar issue with my 4850. Sometimes the system would shut off, sometimes I would just lose output to monitor while the rest of the system works, then eventually shuts down / restarts / crashes. The driver was not increasing the fan speed with the temps, and was causing the card to go into a protection mode I am assuming. Installing Catalyst Control Center and setting fan speed to manual at least 50% in W7 and 100% in games solved the problem. Unfortunately the card sounds like a blow dryer at 100% :(

You should clean out the fan and fix your air flow and you wont have to worry about doing this.

You should clean out the fan and fix your air flow and you wont have to worry about doing this.

I actually recently had the card apart and cleaned everything. Cleaned the GPU and cooler and used some extra Noctua TIM I had leftover too. My rig is a recent build and is very clean, with tons of airflow. I have 2 Panaflo 120's as intake, one as exhaust and two vantec 60mm in exhaust near expansion slots...trust me its the same temp in the PC as in my room.

The card is designed to have that fan spinning at near 100% under heavy load, which is what is happening with the i7 feeding it...

I actually recently had the card apart and cleaned everything. Cleaned the GPU and cooler and used some extra Noctua TIM I had leftover too. My rig is a recent build and is very clean, with tons of airflow. I have 2 Panaflo 120's as intake, one as exhaust and two vantec 60mm in exhaust near expansion slots...trust me its the same temp in the PC as in my room.

The card is designed to have that fan spinning at near 100% under heavy load, which is what is happening with the i7 feeding it...

the 5800 series is not designed to have the fan running at near 100%.. you're absolutely wrong.

the 5800 series is not designed to have the fan running at near 100%.. you're absolutely wrong.

I would be wrong if we were discussing 5xxx series but OP and I both have 4xxx series. I know I'm right because the issue disappeared when I started manually controlling the fan. That and after attempting to restart after a shutdown issue the video card fan would stick at 100% and the system would not post until it was cooled down. Any other problems with my attempt at helping OP?

I would be wrong if we were discussing 5xxx series but OP and I both have 4xxx series. I know I'm right because the issue disappeared when I started manually controlling the fan. That and after attempting to restart after a shutdown issue the video card fan would stick at 100% and the system would not post until it was cooled down. Any other problems with my attempt at helping OP?

I had a 4870x2 and never had to have the fan over 45%...

I had a 4870x2 and never had to have the fan over 45%...

Well it was just speculation when I said the card was designed for the fan to run at 100% in games when the card is maxed out. It just seems right, from what I can remember the lower range of the high-end cards usually have inferior cooling solutions and are very loud, which is one of the reasons people bought 4870 (again IIRC). The fan is pretty flimsy. I don't know what % the driver had the fan running at but it clearly wasn't high enough, probably less than 45%. I haven't tried manually setting it to anything less than 50% in W7 and 100% in game as I use headphones and don't notice it.

OP I am interested in your results!

WOW I didn't realize when i made this post that i would be causing and argument i apologize, anyway slippery i will be giving that a try and if it doesn't work no harm or foul. It has to be the gpu I thought it was overheating b/c all the pci slots underneath it are occupied (sound card , wireless g card).

Run GPU-Z in the background and monitor your temps with that. I believe you can log as well, but I might be thinking of another program.

I did a rebuild for a friend of mine in that case. though it wasn't a high end build, more of a low end make it work build. Anyaway, my point is also this, the one I rebuilt didn't even have a exhaust fan so I had to add that. I believe it used a 92mm fan.
If you haven't already added one go ahead and add it.

I have and exhaust fan in the back as well as an 80mm on the side panel pulling air through the holes.

run hardware monitor while youre gaming. it will record the min/max temps for your cpu cores and gpu. youll know if its a heat issue then. what psu are you using?

Back