Possible mobo problem????

kirk

Gawd
Ok I am encountering random reboots, Since I have got the motherboard the -12v has been very low around .9v - 1v. I have tried a diff power supply, diff HD, diff HD cable, multiple installs of winxp on both HD's that I have. The strang thing is that when I play a game it does not restart, or at least it has not yet, when I let the comp sit then it seems to restart. Could the -12v be a sign that the mobo is on its way out???????

I cant try a diff motherboard because it is a AMD64 ASUS K8V deluxe and I dont have another one to test.

Can anyone think of anything that I missed????

Try this, Run Prime 95 and see if the computer restarts, IF.. it just seats their, Primes perfectly Fine, but restart as soon as CPU starts being Idle,

You have a faulty capacitor(s) when yer system is under constant use, voltages go straight to the CPU, when it starts being idle, faulty capacitors fluctuate voltages violently. Anyone recall the ABIT VP6 Problem? I do cause I had one, it was a Dual Penium III bored that was Great, having 2GHz from a 2x 700Mhz CCo Stepping CPU That board really blazed back in the day, anyways, after 3 years, everyones VP6 started random reboots BUT perfectly Stable when Gaming or Priming. and NO one had a clue why, until some one found out that the capacitors were all dead. i think it was 3200uF or 2200uF? i don't remember, anyways, i had to buy 14 of them and replace the capacitors since Abit wouldn't warrenty something thats almost half a decade old.

Bottom Line, You still have warrenty, RMA

Hrmmm, the more I hang around the [H] forums, the more I realize some people don't know how to correctly diagnose system problems. First step in this would be to assume the PSU is the problem.

What is the Amperage on the +12v rail, off of your power supply. And what brand is the power supply.

kirk said:
Ok I am encountering random reboots, Since I have got the motherboard the -12v has been very low around .9v - 1v. I have tried a diff power supply,

The more i hang around [H] Forums the more i realize how ignorant some people can be.

Again, post the Amperage of the +12v rail...I don't care too much that he's tried a different power suplly, for all I know, that other one could have been too weak too. Please just post the ratings....

And I never said anyone here was ignorant, please do not post things like that. That's not very nice to say :mad:

You never disregard something beacuse someone says they've already tried that option, you have to make sure yourself.

Sorry for calling you out, my intention was that its rare for 2 power supply to act equally bad, although now i'm curious as to what his running on his system and how much his PSUs outputs are. But yea, off the hand, it sounded like a faulty capacitor problem.

My apologies for offending anyone. :D

Back