Possible Major Security Risk Vista

willip90

n00b
ok brother just called gave me heads up on this one ..

in vista do a search on everywhere
then include hiden files and folders

there ya go check that file out
it will show everywhere you been but do not delete it it will hose your system

IF ANYONE HAS A FIX TO GET RID OF IT PLEASE POST IT......

willip90

It's just an alias to, you know, everywhere on your system for search purposes. I fail to see how this is a security risk or a problem.

That's actually kinda neat. The easy solution of course, is to not enable hidden files and folders :p

And just how is this a security risk? Can you delete the file? Not if you don't have the rights. Please do not stumble on something so obvious and think you have discovered something and make a sensational post.

This post will be locked shortly.

It's just a shortcut to search for everything on your system. And it doesn't show everywhere you've been. It just shows everything on your system.

Tell your brother not to quit his day job.

k how could you not see this as a security risk to your privacy alot of the files that are on there are no longer on my system no 1 no2 if someone gets ahold of that stuff they can tell you exactly where you been and what you been doing........ no 3 do you want your financial information all in one spot like that ??????? if you guys dont see it as a security risk think again.............

oh yea try deleteing the file .. youll love them results with a hosed system

What exactly would a fix do....prevent you from searching for any files on your system? Did you and your brother find a buy one get one free sale on tin foil hats?

So are you a security risk to yourself? The index is a personal file, like all of the files that are on the system. If someone has access to the index, they have access to the files anyway. As far as history, the index should clear itself after time. If you're worried about this then you need to be worried about all other files on your system. Like browser history to start.

I have heard this argument 1000 times and its lame dude. Do you really think you're the first person to think of this and possible security issues?

yea it's hilarious, everyday these script kiddies make these sensationalist posts and think they know more than the engineers at MS, if that's the case why don't they go work there and make a million bucks fixing windows.. Or are they too busy serving people food? :rolleyes:

k how could you not see this as a security risk to your privacy alot of the files that are on there are no longer on my system no 1 no2 if someone gets ahold of that stuff they can tell you exactly where you been and what you been doing........ no 3 do you want your financial information all in one spot like that ??????? if you guys dont see it as a security risk think again.............

oh yea try deleteing the file .. youll love them results with a hosed system
First of all, if someone has physical access to your system, you have no security anyhow. Second, any files shown in 'Everything' are definitely still on your system. Check your backups and your recycle bin. Third, it doesn't just show "where you've been", it shows everything on your system. It's not a risk to privacy, security, or anything.

"Everywhere" isn't even hidden? You can choose to search indexed locations, the computer, various drives, or "everywhere".. I'm not seeing the security risk here. If files are on the computer, then it's possible to find them? I'm not even sure what the "file" that we might delete is, bar deleting everything on the entire computer, which probably would cause problems!

If you're trying to keep things secret, then putting then in a folder in another folder in another folder isn't exactly going to keep the FBI out. Encrypt anything that you're worried about anybody with access to the computer being able to read.

Back