Possible Hardware Problems

Fayt

n00b
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
16
For the past 5 months, I've unknowingly been choking my hardware from power, due to the fact that I was using a connector to the motherboard that didn't have enough pins. This caused my powersupply to crash, and after getting a new one with the right amount of pins, everything's been working fine.

However, I seem to download corrupt files constantly, and programs will suddenly stop working, along with my computer freezing and getting a blue screen once or twice a day. I'm thinking that maybe the motherboard, since it wasn't getting enough power, perhaps blew a chip or something, I'm not really sure. Any suggestions?
 
For the past 5 months, I've unknowingly been choking my hardware from power, due to the fact that I was using a connector to the motherboard that didn't have enough pins. This caused my powersupply to crash, and after getting a new one with the right amount of pins, everything's been working fine.

:rolleyes:, Moving swiftly on

However, I seem to download corrupt files constantly, and programs will suddenly stop working, along with my computer freezing and getting a blue screen once or twice a day. I'm thinking that maybe the motherboard, since it wasn't getting enough power, perhaps blew a chip or something, I'm not really sure. Any suggestions?

Try formatting your computer and see if it helps.
 
:rolleyes:, Moving swiftly on



Try formatting your computer and see if it helps.

Well I was using Vista, but programs constantly crashed and I could barely use it, so I switched to XP, formatted and everything, and it wasn't as bad, but I still got corrupt programs and crashes, so I formatted once again, and it's still continuing.

And I know, it was a pretty stupid mistake with the whole motherboard power connector :(
 
ATI 1600X 256mb GPU
Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8ghz CPU
2x CORSAIR 512mb memory
160 gig Western Digital SATA HDD
ASUS P5B LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
Windows XP

It's about 6 months old
 
Your Power Supply?

When do the crashes happen? Do you play any games on it? Is it overclocked? Assuming nothing has changed except the power supply then my guess would be the power supply.
 
I can't remember what kind of power supply, but it's brand new and even before my first power supply went, I was noticing some blue screens fairly often, just no corrupt downloads.

The crashes seem to happen randomly, and I don't play games or overclock it, so it's been hard to figure out what's up with it.

Thanks for the quick replies though.
 
Bump

The error I get after it crashes is

BCCode : 4e BCP1 : 00000099 BCP2 : 00200000 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1
 
I also ran memtest, and after about an hour of running, it seemed like I have thousands of errors, so should I send the memory back perhaps?
 
I also ran memtest, and after about an hour of running, it seemed like I have thousands of errors, so should I send the memory back perhaps?

Yeh, that sound like a pretty good plan.
 
Back
Top