• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Possible DOA HX650

iYoYo

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Messages
260
Im 90% sure that I just received a DOA psu from newegg. i dont wanna re-do my cable management, so its there a way to check the PSU while its in the build already?
 
Doh! Should have checked out outside of case first. put the power on button on the correct pins? You can unhook everything and try the paperclip trick. One end in green, the other in black. in the mobo connector. See if it powers the fans and check it with a multimeter.
 
Paperclip trick, but make sure to disconnect EVERYTHING besides a few fans. Then you can check voltages with a multimeter.

What are the symptoms?
 
Paperclip trick, but make sure to disconnect EVERYTHING besides a few fans. Then you can check voltages with a multimeter.

What are the symptoms?

well theres no activity on anything, I turn it on and nothing powers up. I checked my motherboard if it has that "led light activity thingy" but my 890FX-GD65 seems to have none of those. so I really cant tell if its being powered up or not.
 
guys is it possible that the board is dead so the psu wont turn on? Im about to RMA this but if a dead mobo is possible then Ill have to do the paper clip test. ( no paper clips at home right now )
 
Yes, it is possible. The only way to know which part is dead is to test each one individually.
 
I had some free time so i pulled out my working 850watt psu to test this build.doesnt work.... Psu fans not turning on, not even a boot/off/boot/off/dead,Nothing happens. is this a board problem
 
It would seem that way, unless you made a mistake while putting the PC together and something isn't connected properly.
 
It would seem that way, unless you made a mistake while putting the PC together and something isn't connected properly.

its my third build I think I know how things go now :)

Ive checked all the wires already, at first I thought it was the front panel connectors but Ive double checked that already. I guess its the board...
 
Have you tested the board outside of the case to rule out any grounding issues?
 
Back
Top