possible DNS issues

haffey

Gawd
hi guys. I'm currently at my cousins house for 3 weeks and I'm having very strange WiFi issues.

the AP is a combo modem/wireless router by Motorola. what plugs into the back of it is a coax cable and power cable.

now, I am able to connect to the unit (and subsequently, the Internet) using both my iPhone and Google Nexus 7. I have no issues at all accessing the Internet with those two devices. the problem is with my laptop. I'm able to connect to the wireless network with 5 full bars of wireless reception, but have trouble accessing websites. every now and then, the wireless bars in the system tray will have the yellow exclamation point signifying connection issues, but most of the time, all appears to be fine.

Device info:
Laptop:
Dell Studio XPS 1647
Running Win7

Modem/Router:
Motorola SBG901
Gateway IP: 192.168.0.1
subnet: 255.255.255.0
So far, here's a list of things I've tried.

ipconfig Flushdns/release/renew
Static IP within proper subnet range
manually entered DNS servers (tried both Google and OpenDNS servers)
Disabled and reenabled wireless adapter
Power cycled modem/router unit
Disabled IPv6
Deleted all other wireless network stored info
Disabled Ethernet port and Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
reinstalled drivers for the Dell wireless internet adapter

Please help if you can. Not really sure what else i can try and i need the internet to access two online classes. Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited:
WPA and not WPA-2?
PSK is a key distribution scheme and not an encryption type- encryption should be AES (recommended), TKIP, or TKIP + AES. 'Auto' is usually valid, where it tries to implement AES and falls back to TKIP. If you are actually running WPA and not WPA-2, I'd try TKIP as it is the most widely supported.
WPA PSK is also know as 'WPA Personal'. Older Wi-Fi G hardware may not support WPA-2 or AES.

Have you tried pinging both your local gateway value and a Internet IP address that allows ping (I usually use 8.8.8.8 which hots Google's DNS servers since they respond to ICMP) while you are having connection issues to verify you aren't having issues at a lower level than DNS?

For reasons I haven't fully diagnosed yet, at my parent's when I use my laptop connected to their 11n network, all outbound traffic starts to timeout and latency increases by at least a factor of 4. When I take that laptop off the network or force it to use 11g for its connection, all is once again well. My wife's laptop, and cell phones can connect using 11n without any issues. Its freaky.

My laptop works without issue on every other 11n network I've tried. Just has problems at my parent's.

I originally thought I had a DNS issue until I started looking at a lower level.

Back