• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Possible Core i5 3rd Gen Rev coming

yojimbo

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 2, 2004
Messages
218
So I got yelled at for not mentioning back in January that I knew Ivy Bridge was going to be delayed. (Then again, I get yelled at a lot by the enthusiast community for many things.)

This is going down for the record since I was asked to investigate a near-compete absence of 3rd gen Core i5 CPUs in Tier 1 integrator desktop systems. Seriously, go to HP or Dell/Alienware and try and configure a desktop system that supports 3rd gen Core processors with anything but a Core i7 in it. With little exception, you'll probably fail at doing so.

After I published my findings for the person who requested that I do the research, I was asked: "So, what do you think is going on if [1st-tier integrator] told us that they're witholding sales of [desktop computer] with Core i5's because Intel is witholding, and, when Intel does start shipping them again, a BIOS update was necessary to make them work?"

Needless to say, despite not having any hard evidence to show you aside from the absence of i5's in the ODM desktop channel and oblique hearsay, I'm almost certain a new set of i5 CPUs is on its way from Intel. I don't know how quiet or public the update will be, and I don't know whether or how the enthusiast channel will be affected. It could just be that a new stepping will be introduced that affects things like thermals or erratum, or both. Whatever it is, it's important enough that Intel's witholding - or at least being judicious with - its CPU sales. It's hard to be specific because the left-hand doesn't seem to be coordinating with the right-hand at the moment.

If I have anything else that's worth mentioning, I'll be sure to post it here.
 
Last edited:
Here is our official statement on the thermals on the 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors.

We are using a different package thermal technology on 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ desktop processors (Ivy Bridge). Coupled with the higher thermal density of the 22nm process shrink, users may observe higher operating temperatures when overclocking. This is as designed and meets quality and reliability expectations for parts operating under specified conditions.

Now as far as the limited supply of 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors in North America I am showing over 5000 of the Intel Core i5-3570K in stock at our Distibutors right now. Since the only time you run into any type of thermal issue with the 3rd generation Intel Core processors is when you overclock them; you would think that this would be the processor that would be out of stock if there was a problem with it?

Now I have no knowledge one way or the other if there will be a new stepping for this processors but it is improtant to note that our focus for the 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors is for the Laptop and Ultrabook™ space.
 
I believe he is an Intel employee.

As for the OP, it may simply be due to the OEMs trying to clear out SB stock before moving on to IB. That reason was also given for the delay of the IB mobile chips.
 
Here is our official statement on the thermals on the 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors.

We are using a different package thermal technology on 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ desktop processors (Ivy Bridge). Coupled with the higher thermal density of the 22nm process shrink, users may observe higher operating temperatures when overclocking. This is as designed and meets quality and reliability expectations for parts operating under specified conditions.




What I got from this...


We have gimped the overclocking potential on 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ desktop processors (Ivy Bridge) by using a lower quality thermal technology . Coupled with the higher thermal density of the 22nm process shrink, users may observe higher operating temperatures when overclocking. This is as designed so as to prevent overclockers from coaxing the performance of our $1000 CPU out of a $300 CPU. The thermally gimped chip meets quality and reliability expectations for parts operating under the specified conditions (i.e. stock clocks).
 
What I got from this...


We have gimped the overclocking potential on 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ desktop processors (Ivy Bridge) by using a lower quality thermal technology . Coupled with the higher thermal density of the 22nm process shrink, users may observe higher operating temperatures when overclocking. This is as designed so as to prevent overclockers from coaxing the performance of our $1000 CPU out of a $300 CPU. The thermally gimped chip meets quality and reliability expectations for parts operating under the specified conditions (i.e. stock clocks).

That's probably not something Christian would be privy to discuss (or be allowed to confirm even if he was), but instead the engineers at intel.
---But, from a standpoint of marketing having influenced design and manufacturing, I agree that your statement here is likely holding a great deal of truth in it, with one simple modification: "This is as designed so as to prevent overclockers from easily coaxing and surpassing the processing performance and thermal efficiency of our $1000 CPU out of a $300 CPU."
 
As for the OP, it may simply be due to the OEMs trying to clear out SB stock before moving on to IB. That reason was also given for the delay of the IB mobile chips.

Nope. That's wasn't even an official line... at least not one that I was ever given. That was a BS line that came from some FUD-spewing website (probably DigiTimes) or a know-nothing forum crackpot.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: They are having honest-to-goodness problems with this die shrink. It's not 'how much previous-gen product is in the channel'. Intel never cares about that.

I've received more information about the expected release timeframe for any revisions - the Tier 1 ODM's are expecting availability sometime in July. Considering the timeline of when I was first told there would be a delay on Ivy Bridge (January), when they were originally supposed to ship (early April), when they actually started shipping in a retail box (end of May), and when they'll actually wind up in a retail desktop (July-ish), this points to what seems like a normal turn-around for updating silicon to address a potentially serious and acknowledged known-issue - about 2 fiscal quarters.

Also, looking at the internal build structures of the specific machines my group is investigating, I'm willing to bet that - yes - it's heat related, and - yes - the BIOS needs to be updated to go along with the new processors to contain that heat problem.

IntelEnthusiast: Company man or not, telling me 5,000 specifically-binned, unlocked, 3rd Gen Core i5 K-series are in the enthusiast retail channel doesn't help to explain where tens of thousands of OEM, bought-by-the-tray-by-ODM Core i5's are that should be inside tens of thousands of desktop computers.

Also, considering what reaction I'm finding elsewhere, unless you're significantly invested in an above average cooling solution, people are seeing heat problems at stock settings on non-K Core i5's. The i7's aren't affected as much, which I find intriguing.

Lastly, I know Intel's focus has been mobile for some time. I've just had an easier time coming to grips with that than most enthusiasts.
 
I think that I do not understand this thread. I just visited the Dell store, and they are selling Vostro 470 with 3rd gen i5 and i7.

Although the delivery time is a little high 18-20 days, as it is a new unit here.
 
What I got from this...


We have gimped the overclocking potential on 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ desktop processors (Ivy Bridge) by using a lower quality thermal technology . Coupled with the higher thermal density of the 22nm process shrink, users may observe higher operating temperatures when overclocking. This is as designed so to save several million dollars during the production of the chips because we answer to stockholders, not a miniscule fraction of our customer base known as overclockers. We don't care if you get $1000 performance out of a $300 chip because overclockers are a tiny fraction of the consumer base and we can save an order of magnitude more money by gimping all the chips this way. The thermally gimped chip meets quality and reliability expectations for parts operating under the specified conditions (i.e. stock clocks).
FTFY.
 
X2, I doubt intel really cares about what overclockers do
Exactly, Intel doesn't give a fuck if you turn a $300 chip into a $1000 chip. If they did, they wouldn't be selling the unlocked $300 chips in the first place. They can sell hundreds of $300 chips for every one $1000 chip. People who pay $300 for a chip aren't going to buy the $1000 chip anyways, so Intel still gets the sale. The only people they really care about that are the scam companies that will rebadge the chips as higher grade, but Intel controls that by only making the top level chip in each series the unlocked one.

Also, how the fuck is anyone turning a $300 chip into a $1000 chip? Just because a $300 chip can run the same mhz and perform just as well in 90% of applications doesn't mean its the same as the $1000 chip. They differentiate the $1000 chips from the $300 chips with certain features that appeal to specific customers. You don't get quad channel RAM, extra PCIe lanes, multi-cpu socket support (Xeons only), etc. etc. on the $300 socket 1155 chips. To many customers that feature list is worth $700+, otherwise Intel would lower the price on them or stop carrying them altogether.

I really don't know where people come up with these delusions...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top