• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Possible Bent 1366 pin

W.Feather

[H]ard DCOTM x4 & [H]DCOTY x1
2FA
Joined
Nov 10, 2009
Messages
11,815
I think I may have a bent pin on SR-2, no idea how, thought I got it pushed back up a bit (used a sewing needle), well cant get booted without CPU0 disabled.....so tomorrow ill be looking again, looking for ideas on what the best way to tighten a pin.


Before its asked: I have no idea how the hell the pin bent, all I did was pull out an L5639 and there was a bent pin ... only thing i can think of is it being bent when I pulled the CPU.

Any help would be appreciated.

-W.Feather

Edit: For reference of people googling around, I know I saw no real good solutions out there on a quick search:

Solution - Be very careful with a utility knife blade, making sure to not break/bend the pin too much. I tried with a little sewing needle, Had little/no luck .... if you have good eyes you dont need a magnifying glass (i didnt have one)
 
Last edited:
Whenever I have a bent pin I use a 0.7mm BIC mechanical pencil with no lead and try to make it look liek the ones around it. If that doesn't work though, its usually to the bin with that board.
 
I have nothing to tell you except that I feel your pain. I've never screwed a pin up so badly that it couldn't be repaired though. I always used a retractable blade and a steady hand to fix mine.
 
so somethign like an Exacto knife blade will work then?

@Jorona - that works on AMD CPU's , not so well in Intel Sockets from the spacing I can see.
 
so somethign like an Exacto knife blade will work then?

@Jorona - that works on AMD CPU's , not so well in Intel Sockets from the spacing I can see.

Yeah, needle and a magnifying glass(one with the extra enlargement works better).

Good luck!
 
so somethign like an Exacto knife blade will work then?

@Jorona - that works on AMD CPU's , not so well in Intel Sockets from the spacing I can see.

Eh, it worked okay on 775. I haven't ever had a problem with bent pins on anything newer. For AMD I use a 0.5mm bic pencil :D
 
not very, but enough to throw FF erros on the SR2 not allowing it to boot when the socket is enabled. So ill be tearing it down here shortly and taking a look.
 
Took a blade from a utility knife to it and am actually booted in now, seems to be going fine
 
haha cool, thats a quick and dirty way to do it, if you have 1 bent pin, but if you have more than i guess 3, i would send it back to manufacturer and pay a premium for them to fix it.
 
ya, it was only one, issue with having to send it is is a couple things:

1) its an SR-2, so its cost for a socket replacement is automatically higher
2) I am not the original owner, I think I am actually #3 overall, not sure how that would work.
 
I have my Kershaw with me most of the time i'm out and about
 
W.Feather, glad to hear that you got it working, but by far and large the best solution that I've ever had for a bent pin on an LGA socket is take it to a jeweler. They specialize in small delicate work, so it naturally makes sense. This does not mean however that they will take on the job. I've had to do it twice, neither times in the same geographic area of the USA, but I found someone in minutes of calling who was ok with doing it.
 
I had thought of that, but since It was only one pin, looked easy enough to attempt, so I gave it a go .... that + it would have been a giant PITA to unhook everything, anyhow, ya that is a good idea.
 
Back
Top