Possible Bad HD?

Grizzle

Limp Gawd
Ok, I bought a 120 gig WD HD from a buddy online and I recieved it yesterday. Upon Reciept, I installed the HD, buttoned everything up and it started formatting. During the formatting process I was also messing around with my circuit breaker hooking/unhooking wires :rolleyes: By some stupid chance I bumped the power button. System shut off. I started the PC back up and it did not detect the HD. I think OH S***. I restarted again and everything looked fine, so I started the format again. This time it stayed at ZERO % for like 20 min, so that didnt work.

I used the install floppy that came with it to write zero's to the drive, and I tried to format again, still no luck.

It's also making a annoying whistle sound, really high pitched.

(Don't know if WD HD's do that)

Possible Problems

A) The power failure disabled my new HD
B) Do I have all the IDE cables hooked up correctly? Would that matter?

So what should I try guys? I've never had these problems before installing a new HD. Like I said I bought this used, is it still possible to RMA if needed?

This is how the IDE cables look.
SLAVE PRIMARY = CD ROM

SECONDARY MASTER = HD

Thanks. Any and All info will be appreciated.

I was also recieving an error code that I just found on the the manufacturers website.

Error 0112

Interrupt ReQuest Interrupt signal not received. An interrupt command to perform a specific task failed to complete. This may be due to an internal error or to a failed connection which did not allow the interrupt command to be sent to the drive properly. Check cabling and retest. Replace the drive if the error repeats.

Error has repeated itself a few times. I'm going to go home tonight and check the jumpers and make sure they are correct, and then double check the cabling. If it doesnt work, I'm going to have to try to RMA.

This is how I currently have it hooked up.

SECONDAY MASTER = HD
PRIMARY SLAVE = CD ROM

That's all I have hooked up, is that maybe causing a problem? Or does everything look fine?

Sorta the same problem. Reformating my buddies it froze and then had trouble reformating. I'll let you know what fixes mine.

*UPDATE*

I got it to actually format the new partition. After completeing %100 I got the...

"Windows setup cannot complete the partition" yada yada yada.

It's in the process of RMA.

:rolleyes:

Back