Possible bad drive in Synology

brentsg

[H]ard|Gawd
One of my Synology drives sounds like it's on the way out, but it's an 8 bay and I'm unsure which one. SMART data is fine at this point, so not helpful.

I'm not familiar enough with these things to know what to do. Can I shut down and pull a drive, boot, listen for noise? Or will that just fubar things?

I have 7 bays populated and have a cold spare that's inserted but not activated in any way. There is no particular reason for this other than I haven't bothered to add the extra storage, which I need.

There are probably 10 other pieces of data I should post but I'm half asleep.

What disk setup are you using? RAID 6/etc?

Odds are you can pull a drive, see if the noise stops, and reinsert drive until you find the right one and be ok. NAS will tell you there is a fault, but once the disk is reinstalled the fault should clear. I think most models can even hot swap, but if you don’t have to do that I wouldn’t.

Depending on the drive setup. Something like JBOD or Raid 0 (can’t imagine that with 7 drives but hey).... then no, it will bork something.

DO NOT pull drives haphazardly in a live Synology, depending on your FS it can have unfortunate results. If you want to investigate the noise from a drive, power down the synology and the while it is off one at a time remove the drives, connect them to another power source and let them spin up and listen for the sound. Make sure to reinsert the drives into their original slot.

Back