• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Possible air-cooled solution for 6970 tri-fire?

RileyLewis

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 8, 2006
Messages
114
So I'm pretty sure I'm going to be tri-firing some 6970s...but I have no experience with water cooling. Is it possible to keep these things at a usable temperature with air cooling?

Here are the mobo and case I am looking at:

ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3
COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP

Again, I have no experience with water cooling and I am afraid I will mess something up and ruin the cards. I really need some advice!
 
It looks like that board will give you enough space to put three cards with a slot in between each card for airflow. So the board is a good choice.

Now the case, i don't think it will give you the room to have a card in the bottom slot without smashing it against your PSU or not working at all. I would go with the Full tower HAF - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160 - Or another full tower with similar features. It will allow you to put the PSU up top and give the bottom card much more room. Also the Air Flow in the full tower HAF is amazing. I have The full tower with a 580 in my bottom slot for airflow and it wouldn't of worked if i wasn't able to move the PSU.
 
Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, the mobo seems to have nice spacing for airflow. One question though: Are crossfire bridges long enough to cover that distance? In pictures they seem to be only long enough for 2 spaces, not 3...
 
Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, the mobo seems to have nice spacing for airflow. One question though: Are crossfire bridges long enough to cover that distance? In pictures they seem to be only long enough for 2 spaces, not 3...

You can get extra long crossfire bridges. It would be quite unreasonable if ASRock didn't include a few on a board like that.

I have a few that are able to cover 5 slots (depending on how you look at it), so that I have 2 entirely free slots between the cards. They came with an old Asus board of mine.
 
Oh ok, cool! So if the board doesn't come with one, then I should be able to order some.
 
Back
Top