• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Positioning the sub...

Decepticon

Gawd
Joined
Nov 26, 2006
Messages
554
I just got some Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers for my PC and was wondering if the positioning of my sub matters all that much...I was thinking of putting it on my desk, to the left of my left front channel speaker (I really don't have a lot of free space around my setup), but positioned sideways instead of how it would traditionally be facing towards me (the listener). I really don't know a whole lot about configuring 5.1 setups, so I wasn't sure if it would be better to have the sub facing towards me, in between my front left and right channels under my desk, or if it's cool to be off to the side facing the far wall.

Thanks for any help guys! Appreciate it.
 
The old standard rule of bass is non-directional still applies, because it is. The "best" location if possible is a corner, because corner loading allows the walls on either side to work in conjunction with the sub to give a more ummpphh to the sound and require the levels to be a bit less (meaning less power to drive the sub to get the same acoustic levels).

Non-directional means it doesn't matter where you place the actual sub; as long as the levels are appropriate, you're going to hear it regardless. I remember years ago when the very first satellite/sub setup from Bose came out, the original Acoustimass AM-5 speakers, came out. I was at a Circuit City applying for a job and they had just installed them. The demo room had speakers all over it of course but the AM-5 satellites were mounted on posts and covered with drapes.

The clerk came in, asked if I wanted to hear 'em and I said sure. He cranked up some source material on a nice Onkyo receiver and wow, that experience is something I'll never forget. I was standing about 5 feet in front of the satellites which were firing at me, about 3.5 feet off the floor, and he asked me to figure out where the bass was coming from. For all I could muster, I swear it as right there in the middle of the satellites, but as it turns out the sub unit was nearly 9 feet away, in a corner, behind 3 other speakers and you couldn't even see it. One of the most amazing demos I've ever encountered and it sold me on the original 2.1 concept on the spot. ;)

If corner loading isn't an option, facing the actual driver away from the wall firing outward might work well. The only real answer is to set it up, listen to some tunes you know pretty well (at least how they should sound) and adjust the setup as required or to taste.
 
Thanks! Basically just was pondering if the direction was a problem, this solves that. :) I'll try to fit it in my corner then.
 
Non-direction is for below 80hz frequencies. Logitech's crossover is in the 150hz region. Bass will be *extremely* directional, so it's best to place the sub as close to the front left/right speakers as possible, optimally right between them.
 
Back
Top