Position Based Fluids Demonstration

Cool stuff. They still need to work on their viscosity simulation, though. While closer to water than most in-game effects now, it's still too "thick".

^ There is always someone.. lol..
"Oh that's good.. just not good enough.. "

I thought it was pretty damn amazing..

Wow! Now this is the kind of fluid behaviour I would like to se in games.

How long until we see the first simulated "money shot"?

Seriously though, that's an impressive demo.

pretty cool stuff! Can't wait to see this in some games!

i haven't played AC3, but watching the water effects in AC3 i think this is better

pretty cool stuff! Can't wait to see this in some games!
Keep in mind, they're putting everything that graphics card has into rendering that water (and one complex 3D model for it to splash on).

I highly doubt a single GTX580 would be able to handle that water simulation while also under the load of a modern game engine in an open world...

We'll only see this in games if by some miracle the next gen consoles support it.

I'm willing to bet we will see this in 2021 when the next-NEXT gen consoles release... lol.

We'll only see this in games if by some miracle the next gen consoles support it.

This probably wouldn't be main-stream until 2021 when the next-NEXT gen consoles release... lol.

I wish they wouldn't slow down the speed so much... maybe it's on purpose, or it's just the lack of scale reference, I dunno... but I agree it's not quite right.

To see that done in realtime though is exciting.

Keep in mind, they're putting everything that graphics card has into rendering that water (and one complex 3D model for it to splash on).

I highly doubt a single GTX580 would be able to handle that water simulation while also under the load of a modern game engine in an open world...

So give it what? Another year? Two? It might not have to be THIS pretty, but if it's close that'll be a huge leap.

Ok, say it with me: Real-time strategy open seas combat with full weather effects and ocean wave physics simulation with Anno 1404-style city-building and trading. :D

... Within 3 to 4 years on your Radeon 10xxx-series or GeForce 1xxx-series graphics cards.

Please let this happen.

do want. but it will still be at least 10 years before we see this in games. we still have terrible AI, path finding, texture resolution, animations... i blame call of duty and consoles. :p

very cool, but they lost me at "physX" still cool, but i dont see an nvida card in my future.
all we ever see is eye candy tech, when will we see some AI?

It will be nice to see this in games where they currently only mimic certain effects of water. It does feel a little off, but still better than what is there now.

How long until we see the first simulated "money shot"?

Seriously though, that's an impressive demo.

You already can, Japan has a whole game sub industry built on it, each game creepier than the last!

In fact they probably have all kinds of uses for this technology

Nice to see some liquids looking behaving more like liquids. Now let's see a waterspout. :D

No idea how expensive that is in GPU horsepower, but for gaming that is entirely adequate and a million times better than what we get now.

well, it's probably not designed for large expanses of water... the occasional fish tank or bath tub might find it's way into games first, then for larger stuff another method will most likely be used.

Still not as good as logamultii physics or realflow or even maya or 3d studio max defult particle simulations.

The water was too foamy and splashy like it was soapy water. I would guess to dramatize the effect because actual water sloshing around is much less flashy.

I'd love to see something like this in games.

Video's still buffering for me. My first thought/worry is... Are those polygonal models, or solid? If solid, it'll be a long, long time before we see this in games.

Cool stuff. They still need to work on their viscosity simulation, though. While closer to water than most in-game effects now, it's still too "thick".

I think it's also an issue of either surface tension or resolution.

It may also be a problem with Reynolds number. What they are trying to simulate is high Reynolds number which requires large computing power and extremely fine resolution, so they are probably "dumbing it down" to a lower Reynolds number that they can actually solve real time, which in turn makes it look unrealistic as the scales of size, time and viscosity are off as well as the resolution is too low.

Full fluid simulations for actual scientific purposes still take several hours to compute fractions of a second worth of fluid movement, it will be more than a few years before you can run a realistic fluid simulation in real time on any useful scale (like, even just a fishbowl or glass of water). We are still probably an order of magnitude or two or three away in computing power from doing that.

I can see some levels where you have these huge fishtanks with a Hitman/Matrix-style akimbo uzi shootout action, or like Metal Gear Solid with a hallway surrounded by water and a leak sprouting somewhere and the level filling up with water and a dynamically calculated countdown timer before you're screwed due to the water filling up the place.

I got your "position based fluid demonstration" RIGHT HERE

Even better suggestion for game developers: Wave Race 64 successor!

Already got one with Wave Race: Blue Storm on Gamecube. But yeah, a third game in the series would be nice, with some ridiculous water physics and lighting. Too bad Nintendo doesn't release games on PC.

Back